Retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sukhdo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am reapplying this cycle after being waitlisted in VCU last cycle. I retook the DAT earlier today and am bittersweet with it. The scores were:
GEN CHEM: 22
O CHEM: 22
BIO: 17
QR: 19
RC: 22
PAT: 21
TS: 20
AA: 20

My previous scores were:
GEN CHEM: 18
O CHEM: 19
BIO: 19
QR: 18
RC: 21
PAT: 17
TS: 19
AA: 19

I'm worried that the BIO score will hurt me, so I wondering if I should think about retaking it in December. I will go through of applying this cycle. My sciGPA is 3.33 and oGPA is 3.43. BS in Biochemistry and BA in Chemistry. I took a BIO 400 course (Immunology) over the summer and received an A in it.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you use to study the 2nd time around? I would think bio would improve because you did study for it last time you took the test. Everything else improved and a 20/20/21 and that GPA you have gives you a decent chance of getting into schools.

I don't know if retaking it in December will work for every school considering some schools have deadlines before December, you'd have to contact the schools you're interested in.
I put in more time in Bio than any other section. I used BC, DAT Destroyer, Feralis, and Cliffs. I was scoring 20s on the bio practice. I did not sleep well and became anxious starting off the test that I just blanked out on Bio. But I composed myself at Gen chem and it shows the upward trend from gen chem, o chem, PAT, RC, and then QR. I ran out of time to go over the Bio section.

i don't know if retaking the DAT that late in the cycle will help much with your chances at admissions. as a whole, your second time taking the DAT already shows an increase in score across multiple sections and i wouldn't worry too much about it unless the dental schools contact you that a retake is necessary. focus on getting your application completed now so that there are no further delays as the cycle progresses.

Reactions: 1 user
i don't know if retaking the DAT that late in the cycle will help much with your chances at admissions. as a whole, your second time taking the DAT already shows an increase in score across multiple sections and i wouldn't worry too much about it unless the dental schools contact you that a retake is necessary. focus on getting your application completed now so that there are no further delays as the cycle progresses.
Thank you! I completed half of my applications in July and will be submitting the rest on Friday. I just have to wait 3-4 weeks for the DAT scores to be official.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put in more time in Bio than any other section. I used BC, DAT Destroyer, Feralis, and Cliffs. I was scoring 20s on the bio practice. I did not sleep well and became anxious starting off the test that I just blanked out on Bio. But I composed myself at Gen chem and it shows the upward trend from gen chem, o chem, PAT, RC, and then QR. I ran out of time to go over the Bio section.
Good think my test is in the afternoon so lack of sleep would be the least of my worries.

I do not think I retake is necessary, if you have concerns with the 17 I would call schools directly. A 17 is not below any cutoffs that I know of. Those 22's in the Chem's will be noticed by the schools. Bio is so random and one of the most challenging sections for many students, so much to learn and so many versions of the DAT. You have an excellent chance at interviews and acceptance, have a strong personal statement and be prepared at an interview with a good response should be asked about the 17 in Bio.

Wishing you the best and feel free to pm me if you need any more advice

Nancy

I do not think I retake is necessary, if you have concerns with the 17 I would call schools directly. A 17 is not below any cutoffs that I know of. Those 22's in the Chem's will be noticed by the schools. Bio is so random and one of the most challenging sections for many students, so much to learn and so many versions of the DAT. You have an excellent chance at interviews and acceptance, have a strong personal statement and be prepared at an interview with a good response should be asked about the 17 in Bio.

Wishing you the best and feel free to pm me if you need any more advice

Nancy
Thank you very much! I will get in contact with the schools and hopefully everything turns out alright.