Retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavenderose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm waitlisted at one DO school and accepted for Fall 2013 at a second DO school. However, I'm thinking I want to reapply again this year to get into my state school (#1 choice) or in case I don't get pulled off the waitlist at the school mentioned above (#2 choice). I have a 3.55 GPA, 23 MCAT ( yes, i know that's pretty low), lots clinical experience, volunteering experience, shadowing. I also applied very late the first time around (September), but I still managed to land a couple interviews.

Any advice/help would be appreciated on whether or not to retake the MCAT, given the fact that I would have to take it again within the next 2 months

Members don't see this ad.

Why put yourself through all that hassle if you are already accepted? Just seems silly. So if you don't match into your #1 choice of residency are you going to not accept that either? Wait, you won't have that option since it's a biniding contract. Be happy you got in with a 23 and do something fun this year in the interim.

Why put yourself through all that hassle if you are already accepted? Just seems silly. So if you don't match into your #1 choice of residency are you going to not accept that either? Wait, you won't have that option since it's a biniding contract. Be happy you got in with a 23 and do something fun this year in the interim.

^ This, do not tempt fate. Most people with those stats would eat spiders for an acceptance letter right about now.

Just out of curiosity - accepted for 2013? Is that a DO thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about the 2013 thing as well, but have heard that SOMA did that...

Another post indicates KYCOM is doing that as well. OP- plan on retaking the MCAT. Unless there is a contract that says you can't reapply anywhere to accept the acceptance from KYCOM (or another school), you have a year anyway. There is no reason to not retake the mcat and try again if you have the time and money. another reason why kycom sucks (my opinion).

Thanks everyone for the advice! And yes, the school I have been accepted to for the incoming Fall 2013 class is KYCOM. I believe this is something new at KYCOM where students get early acceptance for Fall 2013, pending a seat becomes available for Fall 2012. The reason why I started thinking about reapplying this upcoming cycle is because I'm a little worried about the reputation and residency placements. I'm going to hold my seat at KYCOM for now, however, and just retake the MCAT and apply again. And who knows, maybe i'll be pulled off the waitlist at my 2nd choice school..would definitely save me time and energy!

That MCAT is REALLY low. You'd need at the very least a 29 to have a shot at any state school and even with that nothing is guarenteed. Do you think you are capable of boosting your MCAT 6 points at the absolute minimum? Otherwise, take what you've been handed and go DO.