Retake these courses or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terry2356

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am first year canadian student planning to attend US optometry school. I have completed my first semester where I ended up taking almost all prereqs with full course load ( 5 courses per term). I was an immature student and fooled around during my first sem and got low grades. Now I look back and find that those grades really matter. So, Which courses should I retake? I know I can get atleast B+ to A in them if I retake them. If my university does not allow me to repeat classes and I perform well in advance courses, are my chances still pretty much destroyed? Considering if they calculate prereq GPA for screening process and seeing how there are not many prereqs that are required (around 8-9 courses).

Here are my Grades:
(All these courses are prereqs)

General Biology I B-
General Chemistry C
Intro stat C
Calculus I D

So which courses are important for me to retake? Do all optometry schools replace course with higher grade? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

I am first year canadian student planning to attend US optometry school. I have completed my first semester where I ended up taking almost all prereqs with full course load ( 5 courses per term). I was an immature student and fooled around during my first sem and got low grades. Now I look back and find that those grades really matter. So, Which courses should I retake? I know I can get atleast B+ to A in them if I retake them. If my university does not allow me to repeat classes and I perform well in advance courses, are my chances still pretty much destroyed? Considering if they calculate prereq GPA for screening process and seeing how there are not many prereqs that are required (around 8-9 courses).

Here are my Grades:
(All these courses are prereqs)

General Biology I B-
General Chemistry C
Intro stat C
Calculus I D

So which courses are important for me to retake? Do all optometry schools replace course with higher grade? Thank you

You've only gone through one semester. I would not start retaking courses at this point. Unless calc is a prereq for optometry school (I can't remember) I wouldn't even retake that. Just do your best to improve your grades from here on out and you'll be fine!

You've only gone through one semester. I would not start retaking courses at this point. Unless calc is a prereq for optometry school (I can't remember) I wouldn't even retake that. Just do your best to improve your grades from here on out and you'll be fine!

Calc is a pre-req for several. Others just recommend it.