Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Completed my first DAT. Did better than my practice but not good enough to be competitive I believe. I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

PAT: 18
QR: 17
RC: 18
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 19
Orgo: 20

Total Science: 19
AA: 18

The scores are better than my last practice, which means that I think if I were to do it again, I would score higher. My question though is, what are my chances with these scores? Just need an idea of where I stand. Also, does it look bad to dental schools if I retook the DAT? Do they average scores out?

Btw, here is my gpa:
Sci GPA: 3.3ish (did a post bacc after graduation and got a 3.72; not sure if dental schools will look at that separately from my undergrad science coursework and say "Ohh, this guy changed."

Members don't see this ad.

You might have a shot at some schools but if you want to increase your chances, you should retake and shoot for 21+.

That upward trend looks good, and it will look even better with a strong DAT score to substantiate it.

A retake only looks bad if you do worse.

Some average scores out, some look at the most recent score, some look at the best score. Browse the forums for more information on that.

Did you already apply? If not, you could retake in the mean time if you think you can do better. I don't think these scores are terrible though :)

i would say retake and aim for at least 21+ due to your below average undergrad GPA. your post-bacc GPA will help you but not enough to offset an 18AA in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all

Completed my first DAT. Did better than my practice but not good enough to be competitive I believe. I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

PAT: 18
QR: 17
RC: 18
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 19
Orgo: 20

Total Science: 19
AA: 18

The scores are better than my last practice, which means that I think if I were to do it again, I would score higher. My question though is, what are my chances with these scores? Just need an idea of where I stand. Also, does it look bad to dental schools if I retook the DAT? Do they average scores out?

Btw, here is my gpa:
Sci GPA: 3.3ish (did a post bacc after graduation and got a 3.72; not sure if dental schools will look at that separately from my undergrad science coursework and say "Ohh, this guy changed."

Your scores are good and very consistent, nothing low. A lot will depend on where you apply because imo this is a very close call. You have put in a lot of hard work and completed a post-bac with 3.72. You should call the schools and give them your stats. Also, make sure to have a strong personal statement. Feel free to join our study group for expert advice.

Dr. Jim Romano

Last edited:
If it were me, I would retake - doing so and scoring 20+ can drastically improve your chances of admission, especially with the lower science GPA (although your upward trend definitely helps).

Also, does it look bad to dental schools if I retook the DAT? Do they average scores out?

Retaking the DAT and doing well will never look bad to a school - it's an improvement. Some schools do average scores out; doctoothache has a good post with an attachment that shows how individual schools handle multiple DAT scores that can be found here.