Retakers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilebig01

Member001
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im planning on retaking the DAT and keep postponing. People that have retaken, what was enough time for you the 2nd time in terms of months/hours that you studied? I feel like alot of it is review ... and what did you do differently for the retake?

Members don't see this ad.

I studied roughly 2 months, 12 hours a day for both times. I didn't really change my schedule.

1) Identify weakness.

Not enough study time?
Was it the performance?
Was the study material/study habits/strategy good enough?
etc

2) Look for ways to improve

For me, I felt my performance was mainly the issue because I thought I did really well. I thought got all my math and general chem right, but I ended up with a 19/17 on them. Probably made a bunch of dumb mistakes due to the lack of sleep/headache I had that day. I tried to fix this by relaxing more by studying less the day before, and do something fun. I also took my given break during the test to try to relax. It was stupid of me the first time to skip it. My mind didn't feel as exhausted when I did take a break, which is probably what led to my improved math score.

I also changed my study material up a bit. I heard about chad's video all the time, so I thought I'd give it a try. I found his efficiency to teach the tested material was amazing.

I was completely loss in the biology section on the test, so I looked for different material to improve on it. I also used the campbell book as reference because I heard that's what they use to make their test.

I also changed my approach to the PAT section. I studied the PAT portion first. I tried to find all the strategies, test them out, see what works. This way, I wouldn't waste time learning how to do them like the first time. I felt I improved a lot in the PAT; however, I felt my second pat test was just insanely hard. Might just be unlucky.

Which portion did you have trouble with?