retaking a class AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, if I were to retake a C and get an A in one of my classes, I know the AMCAS uses both, but would they replace the grade for that one 3 credit class with a B

OR

would 3 credits of an A and 3 credits of a C still be factored into my GPA?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They count it as though you took two, separate, 3 credit classes and got an A in one and a C in another. So yes - if your school replaces or averages the grades, you'll have more 'earned' credits on your AMCAS app than your school's transcript.

They count it as though you took two, separate, 3 credit classes and got an A in one and a C in another. So yes - if your school replaces or averages the grades, you'll have more 'earned' credits on your AMCAS app than your school's transcript.

Alright, well the class I'm talking about the C in, is Physics I.
Therefore if I took any other 3 credit BCPM class and got an A, it would affect my sGPA on the AMCAS no differently

....I do not see any benefits to retaking this anymore haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, well the class I'm talking about the C in, is Physics I.
Therefore if I took any other 3 credit BCPM class and got an A, it would affect my sGPA on the AMCAS no differently

....I do not see any benefits to retaking this anymore haha

Retaking physics may actually be a good idea, rather than just take some other random class to bring up your GPA. Getting a 'C' in physics doesn't bode well. It's certainly not the end of the world but it would be beneficial, I think, to retake the course and earn yourself an 'A,' never mind your GPA.

Retaking physics may actually be a good idea, rather than just take some other random class to bring up your GPA. Getting a 'C' in physics doesn't bode well. It's certainly not the end of the world but it would be beneficial, I think, to retake the course and earn yourself an 'A,' never mind your GPA.

Along those lines, you probably don't want anything lower than a B in any of your science courses (especially those that are prerequisites). That being said, it might be a good idea to retake physics ONLY if you believe you can significantly improve your grade - otherwise, you will simply be wasting your time.

you are correct. disregarding any MCAT benefit, it does not benefit you to retake a class vs taking a different one on your AMCAS app. AACOMAS is a different story.