Retaking a class even if you got an A the first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biology major. And currently I am taking a piano class (2 credits) - the second & final semester of it (so there is no more offered after this). However, I have not learned much due to my TA. Even though I am pretty sure I will get an A (he gives A's to everyone- not kidding). I wanted to take the same class again next semester (with a different TA that I am sure is better) because I want to learn how to play the piano really well. However, I am scared of how medical schools will look at taking this class again after getting an A on it.
Should I take it again? What will medical schools think?

Members don't see this ad.

That's fine. People here at my school take Basketball or some other PE class twice even though they get A's the first time around.

I am a biology major. And currently I am taking a piano class (2 credits) - the second & final semester of it (so there is no more offered after this). However, I have not learned much due to my TA. Even though I am pretty sure I will get an A (he gives A's to everyone- not kidding). I wanted to take the same class again next semester (with a different TA that I am sure is better) because I want to learn how to play the piano really well. However, I am scared of how medical schools will look at taking this class again after getting an A on it.

Don't worry about it at all. I retook a couple of classes every single quarter while I was in college and no one has mentioned that it's a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just ask the prof if you can sit in on the class?

I sat in on physics classes to refresh for the MCAT.

i really don't think that there's anyway that this can be seen as a negative. If anything, it shows how dedicated and interested you are in learning to play the piano. You can explain it on your secondaries, but i think retaking piano or a class like that is pretty self-explanatory

No worries - I have two Chemistry courses that are identical on my transcript (TA'ing different courses, but they use the same course number).

i really don't think that there's anyway that this can be seen as a negative. If anything, it shows how dedicated and interested you are in learning to play the piano. You can explain it on your secondaries, but i think retaking piano or a class like that is pretty self-explanatory

Can they misinterpret taking a class more than once as a "GPA-booster"? What if they think, "X took this class twice because it's really easy"?

Can they misinterpret taking a class more than once as a "GPA-booster"? What if they think, "X took this class twice because it's really easy"?

Can take it Pass/Fail the second time to avoid the confusion.

I thought this thread was going to be about some gunner trying to retake a class s/he got an A in just to get an A+.

I thought this thread was going to be about some gunner trying to retake a class s/he got an A in just to get an A+.

Haha I know, right?

OP, I would look into auditing the class, or as someone else mentioned, just see if you can sit in. Worst case scenario you have to explain to interviewers that you really loved piano and wanted to learn more, no biggie.

I guess this varies by university, but wouldn't it not influence your GPA if you took it for a second time?
Or take it pass/fail as someone said

Or, your school might have an option to audit (take no credit for) the class for reduced tuition.

when I took piano in college, you could take as many semesters as you wanted...each one was 1 credit only, though. Not much of a GPA booster!

OP, do whatever you want. The med schools are not going to care about piano being on there multiple times on your transcript. My money says they wouldn't even notice it. They won't be looking at your music grades specifically, though they may ask you about playing the piano (esp. if your interviewer likes music!).

Can take it Pass/Fail the second time to avoid the confusion.

I'm one step ahead of you...

What if Pass/Fail is not an option at the school?(JK)

OP. I think you should take the class again if you like it. I don't think it makes a difference.

Interviewer: What! you took piano II twice?!?!? Get the hell out of my site! You had the audacity to apply to medical school?

In all seriousness it will not matter at all. If it does than just explain yourself. If you got an A both times than it really will not matter.

Audit it if you're so scared.

Or, find a private teacher. They're much better!

Heh, I have "Level II Piano Lessons" 8 times on my transcript and no one has made so much as a peep about it. :laugh:

Also I have choir twice.

Good grief.

Think no further about the matter and retake the class if you heart so desires.

why can't you just get a piano teacher?

Medical school reviewers don't go over your transcript with a magnifying lens. Sure, they'll look at your GPA, science GPA, your major, maybe look at any obvious overall trends, and flag any C's or below you got and ask about them. But all of the pre-med hand-wringing about about what course looks bad or good on your transcript is usually pointless. Sometimes interviewers will basically point to a random page on your file and ask about it (not literally of course, I mean as they're flipping through your packet), and that could result in a question about a class you took, but there's no systematic evaluation of the composition or strength of your transcript.

Haha. I've had this problem - my university used practically the same course number for every play the school put on. So, as a theatre kid, I had the same upper level "english" class listed about 8 times on my transcript by the time I graduated. There was only one instance when someone asked about it, and after a quick explanation (and a promise that I didn't really suck at english enough to warrant 7 repeats), things were good as gold.