Retaking a class even if you got an A the first time

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
I am a biology major. And currently I am taking a piano class (2 credits) - the second & final semester of it (so there is no more offered after this). However, I have not learned much due to my TA. Even though I am pretty sure I will get an A (he gives A's to everyone- not kidding). I wanted to take the same class again next semester (with a different TA that I am sure is better) because I want to learn how to play the piano really well. However, I am scared of how medical schools will look at taking this class again after getting an A on it.
Should I take it again? What will medical schools think?

TheElement

Being Lazzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That's fine. People here at my school take Basketball or some other PE class twice even though they get A's the first time around.

utahjazz

10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am a biology major. And currently I am taking a piano class (2 credits) - the second & final semester of it (so there is no more offered after this). However, I have not learned much due to my TA. Even though I am pretty sure I will get an A (he gives A's to everyone- not kidding). I wanted to take the same class again next semester (with a different TA that I am sure is better) because I want to learn how to play the piano really well. However, I am scared of how medical schools will look at taking this class again after getting an A on it.

Don't worry about it at all. I retook a couple of classes every single quarter while I was in college and no one has mentioned that it's a problem.

About the Ads

mbe36

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Why not just ask the prof if you can sit in on the class?

I sat in on physics classes to refresh for the MCAT.

Sangria

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i really don't think that there's anyway that this can be seen as a negative. If anything, it shows how dedicated and interested you are in learning to play the piano. You can explain it on your secondaries, but i think retaking piano or a class like that is pretty self-explanatory

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
No worries - I have two Chemistry courses that are identical on my transcript (TA'ing different courses, but they use the same course number).

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i really don't think that there's anyway that this can be seen as a negative. If anything, it shows how dedicated and interested you are in learning to play the piano. You can explain it on your secondaries, but i think retaking piano or a class like that is pretty self-explanatory

Can they misinterpret taking a class more than once as a "GPA-booster"? What if they think, "X took this class twice because it's really easy"?

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Can they misinterpret taking a class more than once as a "GPA-booster"? What if they think, "X took this class twice because it's really easy"?

Or, you know, "Groundhog Day" and he couldn't escape...

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
I thought this thread was going to be about some gunner trying to retake a class s/he got an A in just to get an A+.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sure. There's no problem with retaking a piano class.

aebvd97

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2008
Nashville, TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I thought this thread was going to be about some gunner trying to retake a class s/he got an A in just to get an A+.

Haha I know, right?

OP, I would look into auditing the class, or as someone else mentioned, just see if you can sit in. Worst case scenario you have to explain to interviewers that you really loved piano and wanted to learn more, no biggie.

Sangria

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I guess this varies by university, but wouldn't it not influence your GPA if you took it for a second time?
Or take it pass/fail as someone said

zenlike

I'll see you in health.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Or, your school might have an option to audit (take no credit for) the class for reduced tuition.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
when I took piano in college, you could take as many semesters as you wanted...each one was 1 credit only, though. Not much of a GPA booster!

OP, do whatever you want. The med schools are not going to care about piano being on there multiple times on your transcript. My money says they wouldn't even notice it. They won't be looking at your music grades specifically, though they may ask you about playing the piano (esp. if your interviewer likes music!).

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can take it Pass/Fail the second time to avoid the confusion.

I'm one step ahead of you...

What if Pass/Fail is not an option at the school?(JK)

OP. I think you should take the class again if you like it. I don't think it makes a difference.

Interviewer: What! you took piano II twice?!?!? Get the hell out of my site! You had the audacity to apply to medical school?

In all seriousness it will not matter at all. If it does than just explain yourself. If you got an A both times than it really will not matter.

Twiigg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
A distant tree..
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Audit it if you're so scared.

Or, find a private teacher. They're much better!

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Heh, I have "Level II Piano Lessons" 8 times on my transcript and no one has made so much as a peep about it. :laugh:

Also I have choir twice.

Good grief.

Think no further about the matter and retake the class if you heart so desires.

JHopRevisit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
Medical school reviewers don't go over your transcript with a magnifying lens. Sure, they'll look at your GPA, science GPA, your major, maybe look at any obvious overall trends, and flag any C's or below you got and ask about them. But all of the pre-med hand-wringing about about what course looks bad or good on your transcript is usually pointless. Sometimes interviewers will basically point to a random page on your file and ask about it (not literally of course, I mean as they're flipping through your packet), and that could result in a question about a class you took, but there's no systematic evaluation of the composition or strength of your transcript.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Haha. I've had this problem - my university used practically the same course number for every play the school put on. So, as a theatre kid, I had the same upper level "english" class listed about 8 times on my transcript by the time I graduated. There was only one instance when someone asked about it, and after a quick explanation (and a promise that I didn't really suck at english enough to warrant 7 repeats), things were good as gold.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.