Retaking a class for the 4th time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7Days

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Should I stop trying to retake Biochemistry for the 4th time? I had made a D in that class three times from the same school. I just graduated and decided why not try to retake the class for the 4th time at a different school. I feel like the professor that I had was not helping me in understanding the course but also it is my fault too for not pushing hard in making a better grade.

I don't know if I should just quit and take other science course or just retake it. Please tell me what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Should I stop trying to retake Biochemistry for the 4th time? I had made a D in that class three times from the same school. I just graduated and decided why not try to retake the class for the 4th time at a different school. I feel like the professor that I had was not helping me in understanding the course but also it is my fault too for not pushing hard in making a better grade.

I don't know if I should just quit and take other science course or just retake it. Please tell me what you guys think.

I took BIO chem at a premed school with all premeders. It was so hard I had to drop out. Most pharm Schools don't require biochem so why are you retaking it so mucH? just accept the F/D you have. It will be fine.

Retake it elsewhere. Having a D in a course that you’ll be taking again in pharmacy school is unfavorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to take biochem in pharmacy school... Only medchem...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Pharmacy may not be for you If you cannot grasp the biochem fundamentals after 3-4 attempts. I took biochem both as an undergraduate and the first year of pharmacy school; biochem taught in pharm school was a requirement for all disciplines. The version taught in pharmacy school was more difficult, relatively speaking. However, it was a cake walk compared to the pharmacology, med chem and therapeutics courses taught in the second and third years. Point being, basic biochem principles lay the foundation for pharmacology and therapeutics. If you are unable to comprehend the basics, you will likely struggle with the more advanced material.

Something to consider before you shackle yourself with six figures worth of debt.

Reactions: 4 users
The schools I'm applying to require biochemistry, too! I'm opting to take the class in the Summer before I matriculate (this is hoping I get into pharmacy school, heh). However, situation speaking, if you leave the grade as an F or D, most pharmacy schools will not accept the class grade because they don't accept anything less than a C.

My advice?

I know you've already done this (thrice), but retake the class. Everyone fails, no matter how many times that may be. Don't be ashamed, and don't let this discourage you from applying to pharmacy school. People on SDN will tell you "so and so is not for you", but they don't know you personally, know your struggle, or how good of a student you may be overall. There are some medical students, pharmacy students, law students, etc, that failed somewhere along the line, but still got into the school of their choice.

At the end of the day, it is your decision if you want to enter pharmacy. Do you think you will struggle if you get in? If you get in, do you have a support group to help you out? Don't worry, I think of these same things everyday.

Good luck to you! Good luck to us! Good luck to our future! In the words of Martin Luther King Jr., we shall overcome!

Reactions: 1 user