Retaking a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mng0206

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that some optometry schools require all prerequisites taken to be above a C- and some schools will waive that if you've taken a coursework that is similar or a higher level.

I received a C- in General Chemistry II, but I took Organic Chemistry II and got a B on it.
Would you recommend on retaking General Chemistry II?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I got a C in General Chem 2 and a B- in General Chemistry 1 and got a B+ in Orgo 1 and a B in Orgo 2 and I was freaking out about not retaking Gen Chem but I didn't have time and I did really well on the Gen Chem on the OAT so just try and do well on those parts on the OAT but even if you don't if you have a well rounded application/better other grades you should be fine.

No you will be fine. Some schools, like mine don't award minuses so I got a C in Organic was still accepted. You will be fine. I wouldn't recommend retaking it. If you're unsure, call and ask the schools you're most interested in

I talked with the director of admissions at SCO about this same issue. I got a C in Gen Chem, but I'm on track to get an A in Organic. He said not to retake the class just to get a higher grade, and that there's more weight on upper-level science courses. I was considering retaking Gen Chem this summer, but he said to take Cell Bio or A & P instead, so that's what I've decided to do.

I would email the admissions office of the schools you're looking at and ask what they think. It may be different at each school. Mike Robertson at SCO has been extremely helpful--I've asked him multiple questions hat were specific to my classes and grades, and he's been very kind and quick to respond.