Retaking AAMC FL validity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugstofunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Just wanted to start a more recent thread for MCAT retakers who needed to retake the AAMC FLs.

Did you find that your retake FL average was representative of your retake test day score? Or was it inflated? Was just wondering because I am taking my test this Friday 4/23 and while my average has improved, I'm not sure how much validity it holds.

My scores for last year and now were/are:
FL 1 = 500 ---> 506 (what I got on my first test day due to unbalanced score)
FL 2 = 509 ---> 510
FL 3 = 506 ---> 511
FL 4 = 507 ---> 513
Sam = 508 ---> 513

Interested in your experiences and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

Just wanted to start a more recent thread for MCAT retakers who needed to retake the AAMC FLs.

Did you find that your retake FL average was representative of your retake test day score? Or was it inflated? Was just wondering because I am taking my test this Friday 4/23 and while my average has improved, I'm not sure how much validity it holds.

FL 2 = 509 ---> 510
FL 3 = 506 ---> 511
FL 4 = 507 ---> 513
Sam = 508 ---> 513

Did you actually remember any of the answers? If you did, then yes their inflated, if not then you're probably good. In terms of subliminal effect, there probably isn't much inflation. For what it's worth, I retook all the FLs, scored substantially higher on them, and then also scored substantially higher on the real deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input! I couldn't remember any answers so that's why I thought that retaking them was worth it. I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought too. @Hzreio By any chance, how did your test day score compare to your retake FL average? You don't need to share exact numbers. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I couldn't remember any answers so that's why I thought that retaking them was worth it. I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought too. @Hzreio By any chance, how did your test day score compare to your retake FL average? You don't need to share exact numbers. Thanks again!

retake FLs were pretty accurate predictors. IMO it's really important to review those. Make sure you understand their logic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you actually remember any of the answers? If you did, then yes their inflated, if not then you're probably good. In terms of subliminal effect, there probably isn't much inflation. For what it's worth, I retook all the FLs, scored substantially higher on them, and then also scored substantially higher on the real deal.
How long was it between your first FL and the retake?

Generally, no because your brain subconsciously remembers the bits and pieces of the passage and answers. With that being said, reviewing those mistakes still helps tremendously.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

FL 2 = 509 ---> 510
FL 3 = 506 ---> 511
FL 4 = 507 ---> 513
Sam = 508 ---> 513

How was your MCAT retake? was your score close to the FL retake average? I'm in the situation and your experience will help me a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users