Retaking advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allaboutteeth5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I am retaking my DAT in May and have started studying again, and man is it hard to find motivation. I bought destroyer, have all my chads notes from the first time around, and various other materials.

Any advice on what to do for the retake? What did you do that really helped?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not motivated then no amount of advice is going to help you. If I was going to retake it, I would do everything possible to raise my scores. That means cutting out my social life, making the DAT my #1 priority and studying all the time. You have the right resources, you just need to put in the time and effort to earn great scores.

Studying gets boring. I know a critical mistake I have made in the past is to use too FEW resources. Make sure you can get a variety of resources to stimulate your different senses+ keep you on your feet.

Example: Initial review of books or old lecture notes
Supplemented by: Videos (Chads videos or others), practice tests, condensed review information (Barrons or Cliffs Biology for bio..)

If you want more information on review material use the search bar for suggested review material.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need help with review material this is what I have to say: for biology use Campbell's bio and cliffs Ap, for PAT and reading use crack dat, for the sciences and math use DAT Destroyer, and use your college text books for orgo and gen chem. I have been hearing lately about this book called orgo for a second language. Might wanna check that out. Oh and if you have Barron's lol, it would work great as a door stopper! (Book has so many mistakes, when I ripped it up I didn't even wanna use mine as a door stopper)

Oh no, I am definitely motivated to do better I just meant it's not fun having to retake lol!

Use that feeling to motivate you. This may be weird, but when I was studying I envisioned my scores by using a members printout and putting my name on it. I'm a firm believer in writing things down to make them happen. Keep track of all your practice section scores with dates. Getting a 20+ isn't impossible, it just takes a lot of hard work and there are no shortcuts. I cringe when I read users like Sexylife asking "is this on the DAT, is this on the QR, will this be on Bio? " Learn it all! Knowing the details is what will make the difference between a score in the range of 17-20 and 21+

Know Destroyer and CrackDAT very well. You may use Odyssey, ACS prep and Feralis note for more info. However, I would go through the wrong answers in Destroyer and CrackDAT because you learn from them too. Good luck.

Hey!

I am retaking my DAT in May and have started studying again, and man is it hard to find motivation. I bought destroyer, have all my chads notes from the first time around, and various other materials.

Any advice on what to do for the retake? What did you do that really helped?

Thanks!
What do you need help in?
If its gen chem, chads chads chads. Remember, it's better to push the DAT back then to go in unconfident. I pushed mine back.
Go to the library, I never studied at my house because every 30 minutes my mom would holler at me for something. Gets you distracted so easily.