Retaking and need Your Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danedent7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I'm sure a few of you can relate to the upsetting feeling of knowing you have to retake. Especially after nothing but pure studies for 3 months :( Basically I felt I phsyched myself out on the exam (I was a headcase, couldn't keep calm, broke down during the break, just a nervous wreck). I'll post my scores -- but my real reason for this post is I really need some advice from you all!

I really struggle with math. Like bad. I tried so hard to get better at it, and I just couldn't. I went in exam day and felt like I would just give it my best shot and hope for the best. Nonetheless, I know I need to spend a chunk of my upcoming study time in this section, and I want the BEST material out there to help me. (I used Kaplan and it just was not working for me whatsover). What do you guys recommend so that I can truly get back on my feet in this section??

PAT. SO upset about this score. 16. This score was 100% due to my mental breakdown during the exam. I blanked, froze, and just couldn't keep going. I used Kaplan to prep and every practice exam was getting 21-23. Never waivered, I was super confident! However, I think Kaplan falls extremely short in their angle ranking prep. Also, I was running super short on time and I know i completely butchered the cube counting. So unfortunate. What do you guys recommend for a new study material for PAT?

Thanks guys. I really have had a tough time with this, and just want to make sure I do everything I can to better my situation. My advice to all you future DAT-test takers is so KEEP COMPOSURE. Granted, I have always had horrible test anxiety, so I am probably among the few who this would actually happen to. At least I know what to expect the second time around and may see a happy increase in my scores once you subtract the anxiety factor :)

PAT-16
QR-16
RC-18
BIO-20
GCHEM-21
ORG-24
TS-22
AA-19

Members don't see this ad.

For PAT you must purchase CRACK DAT PAT software. It comes with 10 exams and its the best. I was averaging 22 and I got a 22 on the real deal.

Kaplan PAT is a joke and you should avoid looking at it.

For math, while I used Math Destroyer, I feel like it was overkill, and for someone who is not gifted with math it might be extremely discouraging.

The QR section is more simple algebra than anything, and I think the key to this section is time management. I went through the QR section and skipped every problem that wasnt a simple algebra problem. This meant that I did 100% of the problems I could do, and then I used my remaining time to deal with the difficult ones.

I have friends that went in order, and wound up guessing on the last 5-6 problems. In my case, my last 6 problems were pretty simple, so not only did they get 6 questions wrong that they probably would have gotten, but they also got the hard ones wrong. This is the difference between an 18 and a 20 in my opinion.

I am not talented in math, barely studied for it, and ignored studying all trig functions, and I got a 20 on the section.