retaking Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuckde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question about what direction I should take for next semester.

I am currently an undergrad sophomore. Took my gen biology during my freshmen year, but didn't do so great. I will also be taking more advance bio courses in the future because it's my major.

Now I understand Biology is a big part of the DAT and I wanted to make sure my bio was kept strong. Considering that I didn't do to good in my class, and probably don't remember most of the material it taught, do you think I should retake the course?

My main reason for retaking it is so I can actually learn the material so I am prepared for the DAT. Would it be worthwhile, or should I just study and learn from the DAT study books? Will I re-learn all the material in future/more advance courses? Will retaking the gen bio course harm my dental school application in any way?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have a quick question about what direction I should take for next semester.

I am currently an undergrad sophomore. Took my gen biology during my freshmen year, but didn't do so great. I will also be taking more advance bio courses in the future because it's my major.

Now I understand Biology is a big part of the DAT and I wanted to make sure my bio was kept strong. Considering that I didn't do to good in my class, and probably don't remember most of the material it taught, do you think I should retake the course?

My main reason for retaking it is so I can actually learn the material so I am prepared for the DAT. Would it be worthwhile, or should I just study and learn from the DAT study books? Will I re-learn all the material in future/more advance courses? Will retaking the gen bio course harm my dental school application in any way?

I appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Kaplan & Self-Study > Retaking

Do not retake IMHO.

I took gen bio 1,2, and many bio upper level classes.
Gen bio 1,2 material = cell, animal, plant, human phys material, genetics

gen bio is low level bio but it still covers most of upper level materials except
upper level classes go little deeper which r not gonna be on DAT.

if you r worried about DAT bio materials, I think taking upper level classes should help you to cover what you learned in gen bio again.

I say just take upper classes unless you got B- or lower in gen bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you do well from here on out the grade won't be a big deal and probably just chalked up as a freshman occurrence. As far as DAT stuff I like the higher level classes because it goes so into depth that by default you have to learn the basics. Also Kaplan bio and other DAT preps are going to be more helpful when that time comes.

I say just take upper classes unless you got B- or lower in gen bio.

I got a C actually. But I'm a much better student now than I was during my first semester.

Which would look more acceptable on an application:
-Biology 152 - C
-Biology 152 - taken twice with an overall avg B