Retaking C/C+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkim93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an oGPA 2.880 and a sGPA of around 2.5. I have a few C's and C+'s in some of my undergraduate lower division courses such as Organic Chemistry 1/2, General Biology 1, and General Chemistry 1. I also have a C or two in upper division courses such as Physiology. I'm currently working part-time (necessary) and will be enrolling in a DIY post-bacc. Should I retake the courses that I received C (-,+)? I don't know which courses I should retake or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just get your science GPA up in any way possible. If it comes down to that you have to retake, then go for it.
Know that if you are going to retake get at least a B+ .
If you retake a C and end up getting a B, that's an average of a 2.5 (no increase in sGPA)

"Should I retake the courses that I received C (-,+)?"

Anything with a C-, absolutely. Most schools require at least a C. If it was just one or two of the prereqs I would say you may be okay not retaking, but with that many C's you may want to retake to show you can handle the material. Have you taken the DAT?

No. I have not. I was considering it but my background in both General/Organic Chemistry is extremely weak. I was considering taking it after re-taking these classes. I'm also considering doing a DIY post-bacc over the course of about 2-3 years and then applying during the 4th year or so. I have to work so I can't take a full course-load. I was considering taking my last semester as a full course to show that I can handle it. Do you recommend a minimum number of units while I'm working part-time? I was considering 6-8...

Thanks again for all of your help, SDN members!