Retaking class at a CC.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckim812

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay if i retake physics that i got a C in my school at a semester system? However, the problem is that our school goes by quarter, and the one i am trying to take at a CC over the summer is semester. So far, i have taken one physics A class out of three(A,B, and C). But in JC, it goes by the semester, which is only 2 classes of physics. How do adcoms average the grades?

Has anyone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

this isn't really answering your semester/quarter question, but adcoms might be suspicious if you got a C at a 4-year university and then retook it and got an A at a community college.

why don't you retake the course at your 4-year university? it will solve your semester/quarter issue and it will also prove that you can ride the same horse you fell off!

ckim812 said:
Is it okay if i retake physics that i got a C in my school at a semester system? However, the problem is that our school goes by quarter, and the one i am trying to take at a CC over the summer is semester. So far, i have taken one physics A class out of three(A,B, and C). But in JC, it goes by the semester, which is only 2 classes of physics. How do adcoms average the grades?

CC units are averaged as 1.5 due to semester and 1 unit for quarter system

Members don't see this ad :)
syn_apse said:
this isn't really answering your semester/quarter question, but adcoms might be suspicious if you got a C at a 4-year university and then retook it and got an A at a community college.

why don't you retake the course at your 4-year university? it will solve your semester/quarter issue and it will also prove that you can ride the same horse you fell off!

If he/she has already graduated, retaking it at the 4 year might be impossible....as it was in my case. I didn't have to retake anything but I applied to D-School long after I got my BA and wanted some new classes to show dedication and to get back intot he swing of college. I had to do this in CC and UC Berkeley extension but could not go back to UC Berkeley.

ckim812 said:

I got a C in third quarter physics and never retook it since a C is a passing grade. If you still have a few years I would not even worry about it, just focus on getting good grades during the remaining years at school.

I know that AADASAS will average the two grades if you retake a class, but I would call them to see how it workes if you take the same class from two different colleges since their names will not be exactly the same. Also keep in mind C is a passing grade so you are not retaking a failed class but taking another physics class.

Good luck.

Adcoms don't like to see CC courses unfortunately, and they especially don't like to see your basic sciences taken there. I would really consider taking it at a four-year college.

I know for a fact that IUSD does not allow any science courses from a CC. You may want to check with each school.