Retaking Classes at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozeandlose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of retaking orgo and a bio class at a community college or a university. The reason I'm asking is because the CC is a lot better school than the university so would it be okay for me to take classes at a CC?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the option of retaking orgo and a bio class at a community college or a university. The reason I'm asking is because the CC is a lot better school than the university so would it be okay for me to take classes at a CC?

Why would the CC be a better school than the university?

Yeah, define better. nonetheless go for the CC. it's cheaper. All that matters is that it's the same credits or more than your previous take.

Members don't see this ad :)

Either way: all DO schools accept CC credit and as stated above, it's cheaper.

If your considering MD then just be aware that some MD schools will not consider pre reqs completed at the CC level,

Why would the CC be a better school than the university?

Can't speak for OP, but where I live, the local community college has better chemistry and biology faculty, as well as better facilities, than the local university.

Reactions: 2 users
If you'll be applying both DO and MD, make sure that all the schools you're interested in will accept CC credits. That said, I'd definitely take the course at the school where you think you will learn the most. A good community college can offer much smaller class sizes than a university and faculty focused on teaching rather than research.

I'm in a similar situation and torn because on one hand you obviously are paying a lot less for the CC classes, but what happens if DO schools decide to stop accepting CC in the near future? You are really defenseless if that happens and you aren't going to be as competitive regardless. Best to retake at a 4yr, especially since it looks like you're dodging a difficult class by retaking at a CC. Whether or not it's easier is another debate, but it will be perceived that way.

I'm in a similar situation and torn because on one hand you obviously are paying a lot less for the CC classes, but what happens if DO schools decide to stop accepting CC in the near future? You are really defenseless if that happens and you aren't going to be as competitive regardless. Best to retake at a 4yr, especially since it looks like you're dodging a difficult class by retaking at a CC. Whether or not it's easier is another debate, but it will be perceived that way.

Yeah... pretty sure all DO schools will soon stop accepting CC credits and will be posting MCAT averages near 36 :rolleyes: In all seriousness, don't sweat this stuff. I found myself in a similar position and got all worked up about how schools would see my CC pre-reqs (and non pre-req science classes like A&P, Microbiology, etc. that most consider to be "upper level" but I took at the 100-200 level at my community college). I actually discussed CC coursework at two of my interviews this cycle at different schools, and both interviewers shared my views about CC courses being very legitimate and sufficiently preparatory. Taking courses at CC allowed me to get to know my professors and learn the material well, perhaps better than I had in science classes at my four year school. I do NOT believe that my CC pre-reqs were perceived as easier, even though people on this forum will tell you otherwise. My 6 acceptances would be otherwise inexplicable. I realize that MD schools may have very different views on this; however, many MD schools will also accept these credits and will understand - if you're interested in MD, definitely call around/do some research before taking the CC classes.

My advice: retake the classes wherever it is most convenient and cheapest. Do as well as you can wherever you are. Prosper.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah... pretty sure all DO schools will soon stop accepting CC credits and will be posting MCAT averages near 36 :rolleyes: In all seriousness, don't sweat this stuff. I found myself in a similar position and got all worked up about how schools would see my CC pre-reqs (and non pre-req science classes like A&P, Microbiology, etc. that most consider to be "upper level" but I took at the 100-200 level at my community college). I actually discussed CC coursework at two of my interviews this cycle at different schools, and both interviewers shared my views about CC courses being very legitimate and sufficiently preparatory. Taking courses at CC allowed me to get to know my professors and learn the material well, perhaps better than I had in science classes at my four year school. I do NOT believe that my CC pre-reqs were perceived as easier, even though people on this forum will tell you otherwise. My 6 acceptances would be otherwise inexplicable. I realize that MD schools may have very different views on this; however, many MD schools will also accept these credits and will understand - if you're interested in MD, definitely call around/do some research before taking the CC classes.

My advice: retake the classes wherever it is most convenient and cheapest. Do as well as you can wherever you are. Prosper.
I take that as a green light to enroll in community college next semester to retake my classes. The professors at this college seem to be very good but I don't want it to hurt my application for DO schools if I do chose this route.

Last edited:
Go ahead and do it. I retook Organic 1 at a CC because my schedule couldn't fit the Organic 1 class at my University. The class was a lot smaller and I ended up learning a lot more.

I take that as a green light to enroll in community college next semester to retake my classes. The professors at this college seem to be very good but I don't want it to hurt my application for DO schools if I do chose this route.
100% CC science work here. I got in without a problem.

7/8 prerequisites done at CC or online.

4 ii and an acceptance.

Either way: all DO schools accept CC credit and as stated above, it's cheaper.

If your considering MD then just be aware that some MD schools will not consider pre reqs completed at the CC level,
how do you know all do schools accept cc credit. i know western does but is it the same for others?

how do you know all do schools accept cc credit. i know western does but is it the same for others?
Yes it is the same for others.

There are a handful of competitive MD schools that do not accept CC credits but I have not heard of a DO school that doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it is the same for others.

There are a handful of competitive MD schools that do not accept CC credits but I have not heard of a DO school that doesn't.
Western told me what to do to get my Gpa up and the minimum but it's of course different for others. I'm just going to get my Gpa up to what they told me and apply from there .

Went to a CC. Transferred to 4 year. Came back to CC for post bacc. Also got LORs from CC professors.

Have had 5 II and 3 acceptances thus far.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I'd much rather pay $1000 for a full semester of classes and books rather than $400 bucks a UNIT.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

Reactions: 1 user