Retaking classes if applying this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balboa11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying here in a few days, but I will also be retaking a class and adding a few more this fall. Will these retakes really affect my application this cycle given that I am applying so early? Will they still have much of an impact being added to my app so late? (december)

Members don't see this ad.

anybody? surely someone is familiar with this situation

They will take it into consideration. What is your gpa now? If these classes are helping you break a 3.0, then they will have a HUGE impact on your application and I would suggest to wait to apply until then. If you have a 3.4 and you will move to a 3.6 or somethin like that then it will still have an impact but it would be fine for you to apply now.

It really depends on your stats though. If you have really good stats, then your app could move a lot faster and the classes will not mean anything unless they are just taking care of pre-req classes. Do you have good numbers/ec's?

Members don't see this ad :)
my numbers aren't spectacular by any means, cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.1 and MCAT 26. I have a ton of clinical and shadowing experience w solid EC's. The course I plan to retake is 5 hours of C though so an A there would make quite a difference in science GPA i think.

Considering your gpa is on the low end and your mcat is average for DO, they might wait for your grades until they offer an acceptance. Apply broadly and hope for the best!