Retaking Classes the summer you are applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i am retaking physics 1 and calc 3rd part but i am applying jul 15 and i am retaking it jul 30-sept 5 and so i guess i can't update my new grades...

should I not put the old physics 1 and calc 3 grades up because they're both c- but how will they know i'm retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you've seen what the coursework section looks like on OptomCAS, but when you enter a course you can give it a special classification - i.e. if it's been taken online, repeated, etc. You also list courses according to the semester/year you've taken them in, so if you redo a class you still have to enter it in twice in the coursework section regardless of whether its included in your gpa.

Are you re-taking these classes at the same university? Because when you send in your transcripts, they should also list the courses you're currently enrolled in (but are in progress). List your old grades in the year you took them and give them credit. Then list the new grades in the semester/year you are going to take them but classify them as "repeated" (if they're repeated at the same school), and then I guess you'd list them as incomplete (im not totally sure about that, check it).

Then in dec/jan you can send in an updated transcript, and change your old bad grades to have 0 credit (so they don't get calculated into your gpa), and then list the new grades.

I'm not sure if you've seen what the coursework section looks like on OptomCAS, but when you enter a course you can give it a special classification - i.e. if it's been taken online, repeated, etc. You also list courses according to the semester/year you've taken them in, so if you redo a class you still have to enter it in twice in the coursework section regardless of whether its included in your gpa.

Are you re-taking these classes at the same university? Because when you send in your transcripts, they should also list the courses you're currently enrolled in (but are in progress). List your old grades in the year you took them and give them credit. Then list the new grades in the semester/year you are going to take them but classify them as "repeated" (if they're repeated at the same school), and then I guess you'd list them as incomplete (im not totally sure about that, check it).

Then in dec/jan you can send in an updated transcript, and change your old bad grades to have 0 credit (so they don't get calculated into your gpa), and then list the new grades.

i understand the process for courses that i have already retaken and received the grades for, but these summer classes I will not have received the grades by the time that I have applied. i am retaking at the same uni. so do I write the first attempt and grade, and what do I classify it as? and then do I write the retake but no grade because it hasnt been releaed yet? how do you let them know what you aretaking the fall quarter?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am retaking at the same uni. so do I write the first attempt and grade, and what do I classify it as? I don't think you would classify the first attempt as anything. Just list it in the coursework section as you would for any other grade.

and then do I write the retake but no grade because it hasnt been releaed yet? Yes, write the same course again in the new time frame you're taking it in, but write "incomplete" for where you enter a grade, and classify it as repeat. I listed some new courses im taking this semester as incomplete since they dont have grades yet... OptomCAS didn't change that so I guess they were okay with it

how do you let them know what you aretaking the fall quarter?I'm not totally sure on this, because you can only list what courses appear on your transcript. I was told that the coursework section needs to look exactly like what your transcript looks like. When do you usually enroll in fall quarter classes? I would assume that if you enroll in them before you send in transcripts to OptomCAS that they will be listed on your transcript, but with no grades. That's how it works at my university but yours may be different. If they are listed on your transcript but with no grades, put them in the coursework section as incomplete, and I guess that's how they would know.

better to check all this with OptomCAS. This is what I did, and my gpa has been calculated and verified, so I guess it was alright. If anyone else has other information, please post it.

better to check all this with OptomCAS. This is what I did, and my gpa has been calculated and verified, so I guess it was alright. If anyone else has other information, please post it.

i emailed optomcas the same question :) thanks for answering all my posts! it really helps. I haven't seen the optomcas thing yet, because they wont let me make an account til the first day (jul 15), which I think is whack because I mean you need to know what information to have on hand.

do you know if you get a c- in a class, and you indicate that you are retaking it, will the opt schools take that into consideration?

no problemo. I'm just browsing SDN to look stuff up =) I would definitely think they would take it into consideration! I don't really know how that works to be honest, but my guess is that they may wait until you finish your courses to grant you an interview, or grant you acceptance with conditional terms. Since you won't be able to update your coursework until dec/jan, maybe you can directly fax the schools a copy of your transcript with the new grades.... you can always ask them that.

I was going to apply last year but decided against it... but I did have an OptomCAS account. Whether or not you apply this year you should be able to set one up. It will be automatically disabled once this application cycle is over in June. You only have to pay right before you e-submit.

When I first applied, I wasn't retaking stuff...but I was taking some new classes that I wanted counted towards my GPA calc because it was low. It shows on your transcripts that you send that they are "in progress" so i think the schools see these. THEN, when you complete the classes, if you re-send the transcripts with your grades on them, optomcas will update it if you submit what they call an "academic update". Also, I'd call the schools (at least the ones you are interested in, and explain to them you are retaking the classes)...I did this with my OAT scores and most of them are waiting, so that helps too!!

Also- I don't know if i remember correctly, but i BELIEVE that on optomcas, what it will ask you to do is just say if you are presently enrolled in anything. When you enter your old classes, there is nowhere to indicate that a certain class is currently being retaken. BUT if the schools look carefully ..they should see that it is in progress at the time that you apply. (hope that makes sense...)

Anyways, keep up the hard work...It's not easy..but you'll get there! Just check with optomcas (who aren't always very helpful) and DEFINITELY keep the schools updated...they WILL update things in your file if you call !!! :) Hope this helps !