Snamorimba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everyone!

So I just got my winter quarter grades and I didn't do as well as I have hoped. It's so depressing; I feel myself falling deeper and deeper in the hole :(

I'm from UCLA and these were the classes I took: LS 4 (genetics), chem 30cl (organic chem part 2), and chem 30b (organic chem part 2). I got a C- in 30b, so that's why I was retaking it this quarter, but when grades came out, I STILL ended up with a C-!!! Also, I got another C- from LS4. I did fairly well in 30CL, and I think that's what brought me down. I was focusing too much of my attention on 30CL and neglected those two classes, and that's what happened..

So I don't know what to do now. I was planning to apply to the upcoming pharm cycle, but I don't even know if my chances of getting accepted ANYWHERE is possible with my stats. I currently have a 3.2 cumulative GPA in Biochem. I took the PCAT in January, and I got around 70 percentile, so I'm planning to retake it again this June.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be great because at this point I don't know what to do anymore. Also, I already retook 3 classes, and my school has a limit of retaking 16 units, so if I were to retake classes, I believe I can only retake one.

I don't know what to do because I'm so scared and lost, and I just need some guidance. I already started my personal statement, and asked for LOR because I know this is what I want to do... but my grades don't show it.. so I don't know anymore... Please help!!

Thank you so much!! Any comments are welcome! Thank you!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hi everyone!

So I just got my winter quarter grades and I didn't do as well as I have hoped. It's so depressing; I feel myself falling deeper and deeper in the hole :(

I'm from UCLA and these were the classes I took: LS 4 (genetics), chem 30cl (organic chem part 2), and chem 30b (organic chem part 2). I got a C- in 30b, so that's why I was retaking it this quarter, but when grades came out, I STILL ended up with a C-!!! Also, I got another C- from LS4. I did fairly well in 30CL, and I think that's what brought me down. I was focusing too much of my attention on 30CL and neglected those two classes, and that's what happened..

So I don't know what to do now. I was planning to apply to the upcoming pharm cycle, but I don't even know if my chances of getting accepted ANYWHERE is possible with my stats. I currently have a 3.2 cumulative GPA in Biochem. I took the PCAT in January, and I got around 70 percentile, so I'm planning to retake it again this June.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be great because at this point I don't know what to do anymore. Also, I already retook 3 classes, and my school has a limit of retaking 16 units, so if I were to retake classes, I believe I can only retake one.

I don't know what to do because I'm so scared and lost, and I just need some guidance. I already started my personal statement, and asked for LOR because I know this is what I want to do... but my grades don't show it.. so I don't know anymore... Please help!!

Thank you so much!! Any comments are welcome! Thank you!
I would retake part 2 of ochem. Your GPA isn't in the hole or anything, but it is also not very competitive, especially for cali schools (if that is where you want to stay). Are you graduating this semester?

Snamorimba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi! Thanks for the quick response!

No.. I'm not graduating. I'm only a junior, so I still have one more year to go.

I don't mind retaking the classes, but I have already retaken that organic chem class... and I don't know why I still cant do better than C-. I really tried my best.

I'm also applying out of states because I know with my stats, my chances of getting in CA schools are slim.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hi! Thanks for the quick response!

No.. I'm not graduating. I'm only a junior, so I still have one more year to go.

I don't mind retaking the classes, but I have already retaken that organic chem class... and I don't know why I still cant do better than C-. I really tried my best.

I'm also applying out of states because I know with my stats, my chances of getting in CA schools are slim.
Thanks!

It would certainly be better for you to have a degree by the time you apply. That would definitely increase your chances and, quite frankly, it is like the unwritten "standard" for cali schools. If you are intent on applying this year, you need to look up all the info on pharmcas.org about the schools you are interested in. Sorry to say that many schools do not take anything less than a C. Unfortunately, you might have to retake them (hence the added year so you can graduate). I wouldn't worry about the genetics class, though. That one isn't usually required. What about your EC's and pharmacy experience?