Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retaking classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by asdasd12345, Apr 28, 2004.

1. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

i recently posted on here that my GPA was 2.73 calculated for applying to MD school. However calculated for DO school it was 3.08. as i havent taken any premed courses it can go as high as 3.28 if i get A's in all of them. my question is in regard to 2 courses i took a while ago and received poor grades which i havent retook yet. they were financial accounting and law of mass comm which i got an F and D+ on respectively. is it worth retaking these classes to ace them even though they have absolutely nothing to do with med school, just to boost my GPA further?

2. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

anyone, anything at all?

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, I had to retake English 101 because my professor turned our course into a political discussion forum. All of our topics were on political subjects and his blatant liberalism seethed through when he graded my papers. (I am a moderate conservative.) I took some of my papers to the teacher of my second course and what he graded a C-, she would have given a B+/A-.

He made no effort to critique our writing skills, class consisted of debating political essays and articles.

I was going to take the matter to the dean of the college but I screwed myself. I got so fed up with him towards the end of the course that one day, after he flat out ridiculed and insulted me for being pro-life and pro-family, I told him to f-off and walked out of class. I didn't come back and skipped the final, and, needless to say, got an F for the course.

I retook it the following semester and got an A. This would have been devastating to my GPA had I wanted to go to allopathic schools, but I didn't. On my AACOMAS, it showed up, but was not calculated in my GPA.

I think it would be a good idea to retake the courses if you think you have the time.
    wbdo

Edit: Just remembered something else that a-hole said to me. Once we were talking about marriage and how it is destined to fail in this country. At the time, I was 19 and had been married for about 8 months. He told me in front of my classmates that I was an idiot for getting married so young and that my marriage wouldn't last a year. My 7 year anniversary will be on July 12th this year.

4. Dr.ImCute

Dr.ImCute Member
    5+ Year Member

I think its a good idea to retake classes, but the classes you mentioned really have nothing to do w/med. On the other hand, wannabeDO had english which does pertain to med because of communications n' all that crap.

but you have to be careful about when and where you retake the classes. One of my advisors told me that I couldn't retake a class, for a grade, towards my degree because its against school policy (some stupid stuff like that). SO DOUBLE CHECK with an advisor to make sure that the grade DOES show up on your transcript, and if its even worth taking those classes again.

I bet you could get away with NOT retaking it, because theres a reason why you're not going into the law field. Maybe you can explain it in your personal statement or something.

Anyway, talk to a university advisor. g.luck!