Retaking classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nearhan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a pretty low undergraduate gpa (around a 2.5). And that is my cumulative gpa. In physics I and II and in Gen chem I and II I received C's. Would it help my chances if I retook those classes for admission at a Caribbean school(Specifically the Big 4). Do they average grads or take the most recent grade? Does it matter if I retake those classes at a community college? Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help you as much as it would help your chances of getting accepted because you need a good foundation to do well in the basic science classes.

The courses are not replaced, though. They are usually averaged. But a higher mark in a retaken class is always a good trend. As long as the CC is legit, it doesn't matter.

Disregard the above advice. A higher mark in a retaken class is more than expected. It does not make sense to take the same class again just to get a higher grade because you will not be proving much. In fact, if you happen to get another C it could be disastrous.

If you were talking about US schools, to raise your Science GPA, you could take a different level course. However, let's remember we are talking about the caribbean here. A GPA 2.5 is OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I have another cyber-stalker.

I bet you want to rub warm butter on my rump or something like that. I guess I just attract freaks like that.

Disregard the above advice. A higher mark in a retaken class is more than expected. It does not make sense to take the same class again just to get a higher grade because you will not be proving much. In fact, if you happen to get another C it could be disastrous.

If you were talking about US schools, to raise your Science GPA, you could take a different level course. However, let's remember we are talking about the caribbean here. A GPA 2.5 is OK.

Thanks! My #1 choice is Ross. Studying really hard for the Mcats take them in the summer! And good luck with the butter rumpin.

What school please?

The big four? FOrget it! You are dreaming!

Its irritating seeing so much contempt for the Caribbean, its unprofessional.

The good advice is this:

Retaking does not replace the grade
I would only retake if I could get an A in the course a B does not help a lot.

The Big 4 Look at:

The over all grade you have from the College

Do a second over all with the calculations of averaging all the grades

A science GPA calculation.

For the Big FOur you really need above a 2.7 and an MCAT above 20 to have a good shot SGU a 2.8 may not be a enough.

The "Joke" premeds Like to post is that the Caribbean accepts a Pulse and check book, this is not the case except for a few ( We are so quick to forget the FLorida Med school who just admitted a student without a degree or MCAT as a political favor to a Father)

DO not mistake poor attitude as good advice on the Caribbean.;)

Well I certainly don't hold any contempt for Caribbean schools. But Oldpro would a stellar Mcat score off set a not so stellar GPA at the big four?

OP, don't worry about getting into Ross. If you get at least a 20 on the MCAT, you'll have no problems being accepted. Just apply to one of the "off" semesters (not the traditional Fall term).

I have a friend who got into Ross with a 2.2 GPA and a 21 on the MCAT. 2 years ago, I got into Ross with a 3.4 and a 16 on the MCAT. Neither of us were accepted to SGU however....

^^^ Thank you for sharing that with us. It really helps to put everything into perspective without the usual bias from those who are in a permanent denial over here...

Well I certainly don't hold any contempt for Caribbean schools. But Oldpro would a stellar Mcat score off set a not so stellar GPA at the big four?
Its cool I just take offense to off the cuff comments like "as long as you have money" and "a 2.5 is good enough for the Caribbean" these comments are misinformative and untrue. The Big 4 like to see High MCATs, but if the GPA is too low it may not matter. (Whats too low? something below 2.6 is pretty low for the big 4 even with a high MCAT, High? is around 28 or better I would think)

The schools that are newer like AUA and MUA sure take the lower GPA's 2.5 may make it if not then you are talking about the last chance legit schools ( Schools with Grads and WHO and IMED listings (no internet classes) )

Xavier
SJSM
WIndsor
St. Eustaciuos

To name a few.

OP, please do NOT base your decision to apply to Ross by what you read on this site. Take the MCAT and apply....bottom line.

""OP, don't worry about getting into Ross. If you get at least a 20 on the MCAT, you'll have no problems being accepted. Just apply to one of the "off" semesters (not the traditional Fall term).

I have a friend who got into Ross with a 2.2 GPA and a 21 on the MCAT. 2 years ago, I got into Ross with a 3.4 and a 16 on the MCAT. Neither of us were accepted to SGU however....""
user_offline.gif

Are those friends still in medical school? A 2.2 and a 21 is terrible?

OP,
I have a friend who got into Ross with a 2.2 GPA and a 21 on the MCAT. 2 years ago, I got into Ross with a 3.4 and a 16 on the MCAT. Neither of us were accepted to SGU however....

Not to Pick but this is highly questionable, this makes you wonder who did they know and was it MERP? 3 years when I started this it was not easy to get into the Big four and these anecdotal posts of low GPA's is not an example of what they accept. Just because one or two people make it in the Big four with low GPA's ( how do you know this first hand or a friend of of friend? ) Does not mean that you will be one of the lucky ones.

I'd like to know what happned to these students, why is RSOM's addmisions all over the place. They have 0 consistancy. O well back to studying for finals.

Hey Mell,

My friend w/ the 21 and 2.2 will be starting Ross in the Fall of '08. I was lucky enough to be accepted to a school in the states, and I will be starting this Fall as well.

Hey Oldpro,

I agree with you. We were both probably lucky getting into Ross with our stats. My friend did not do the MERP....which is basically a postbac program for Ross?

I think people should at least try applying to Ross no matter what their stats. You just never know....

I know these posts were written in May, but I'm just curious as to what US med school accepted you with a 16 MCAT score? By no means am I writing this in an offensive way, I just want to know...