Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptnguye5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad if I retake like 5 classes? mostly science classes. but i get A's and B's the 2nd time..
Does anyone know which pharm schools use the highest grades to calculate gpa? Texas Tech is the only one i know.
thanks for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does it look bad if I retake like 5 classes? mostly science classes. but i get A's and B's the 2nd time..
Does anyone know which pharm schools use the highest grades to calculate gpa? Texas Tech is the only one i know.
thanks for your time :)

When you apply, they'll know you retook classes. Also, both grades will be calculated into your GPA. So I would recommend getting A's in all classes you retake. As for the schools that look at your highest grade, I couldn't tell ya. I think I retook 4 classes, got A's in all of them the 2nd time around. Good luck.

it depends on what you got the first time. For some schools, anything lower than a C for pre-reqs will hurt you even if you retake it and get an A the second time around. Are the 5 classes you're retaking considered pharmacy pre-reqs? or are they just to boost your overall GPA? In addition, if you were to first receive a grade higher than a C and retake it to get an A, then you should be fine. However, a word of advice, if you have to keep retaking classes to get an A, maybe you should lessen your school load and focus on the pre-reqs because they're the most important. Its not smart to waste $ like that if you have to retake a bunch of classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
here are the classes:

Govt: D- to B+
Cal: D to B
Bio2: C- to B
Orgo1: D+ ... im gonna retake it and i think i can make an A
i also got C+ in chem2... and i think im gonna retake it too...

i messed up bad my 1st year so now i have to pay for it :(

i'm in the same boat as you.

obviously someone who has done well the first time will be considered to be a stronger applicant.

but in your case (& mine), with those grades, you don't really have a choice- you must retake. Just get A's this time.

Since you are retaking, make sure that you don't settle for anything less than a B+ for these pre-reqs. It really looks like you loaded up on a lot of classes for your first year and the result is retaking those classes over again. My advice is definately try to space hard classes with easy classes. It would be less stressful for you and remember, it's not a race! If it means spacing out your classes over 3 years instead of the minimum 2 years to achieve better grades, then do it. Also try changing your studying habits (like location, the time of day you study, cutting back on work, etc) and see if that also works.

here are the classes:

Govt: D- to B+
Cal: D to B
Bio2: C- to B
Orgo1: D+ ... im gonna retake it and i think i can make an A
i also got C+ in chem2... and i think im gonna retake it too...

i messed up bad my 1st year so now i have to pay for it :(

If you are retaking, you should be getting A's or A-'s. It looks very poor to retake and only have a B; that is what most people get the first time, if not higher. Your grades are averaging to a C! That does not look good. Maybe you should be considering a new career path...pharmacy is not for everyone.

i'm in the same boat as you.

obviously someone who has done well the first time will be considered to be a stronger applicant.

but in your case (& mine), with those grades, you don't really have a choice- you must retake. Just get A's this time.

Exactly. But don't lose hope :). Just have the plans to slam dunk the next time around. That's what I'm going to do!

man, if you retake a class you should really get an A, how do you think you compare against the people who got an A and only took it once?

If you do well in the retakes, it shows resilience. I retook a bunch of classes also.

I took Organic I 3 times.
I took Organic II 2 times.
I took Human Anatomy 2 times.
I took Gen Chem I 2 times.
I took Gen Chem II 2 times.
I took Bio I 2 times.

I believe SIUE in illinois do not use pharmcas and you gpa is based on your higher grades...