Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mud91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have done 350 hours of clinical volunteering, research with a publication, TA in gen chem 2 lab,Science enrichment program at UNC, and other non-medical volunteering experiences. I made C+'s in both physics 1 and 2. I'm thinking of retaking both of them, and I retook organic 2 since I made B- before but now I have an A in it. I'm thinking of retaking physics because I'm not sure if I want to apply to both DO and MD schools and want to keep my options open. I'm majoring in biochemistry. My current sGPA is 3.09, cGPA 3.29 with the A in organic (average of my old and new grades). I know I don't stand a chance at MD schools with this GPA and I haven't took the MCAT yet. I just want to know how MD schools will look at my application if I retook both physics and boost up my GPA. I still have a year to go and should boost up my cGPA to 3.40 and sGPA to 3.16 without retaking physics. For anyone who has experienced or know someone with this kind of situation, do people get accepted to MD schools after retaking 3 pre-req. classes? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I have done 350 hours of clinical volunteering, research with a publication, TA in gen chem 2 lab,Science enrichment program at UNC, and other non-medical volunteering experiences. I made C+'s in both physics 1 and 2. I'm thinking of retaking both of them, and I retook organic 2 since I made B- before but now I have an A in it. I'm thinking of retaking physics because I'm not sure if I want to apply to both DO and MD schools and want to keep my options open. I'm majoring in biochemistry. My current sGPA is 3.09, cGPA 3.29 with the A in organic (average of my old and new grades). I know I don't stand a chance at MD schools with this GPA and I haven't took the MCAT yet. I just want to know how MD schools will look at my application if I retook both physics and boost up my GPA. I still have a year to go and should boost up my cGPA to 3.40 and sGPA to 3.16 without retaking physics. For anyone who has experienced or know someone with this kind of situation, do people get accepted to MD schools after retaking 3 pre-req. classes? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Yes people get accepted. It's not an issue. Just get the GPA up, prove you can handle the rigor of medical school.

Study hard for the MCAT, practice a ton! Get a good score and you will be just fine.

Remember though, MD schools average the two grades... if you get a 1.0 and then a 4.0... your average is a 2.5.

IMO if you made C+ in the courses move on. You meet the reqs for admission with a C. I think your time would be better spent by taking upper level bios to strut your stuff. :luck:

If you have enough time to retake it (like in the summer), sure, but it would probably be better to just take an upper division science class and get a good grade in that.
I think it looks better that way, since it shows that you know how to handle science classes.

Of course it is better to have a higher GPA, but 3.4 (if you can indeed achieve that) is not too bad either, as long as you can do good on your MCAT (30+). People with GPA of 3.4-3.59 and MCAT of 30-32 had a 56% acceptance rate, and 39% for 3.2-3.39 GPA/30-32 MCAT in the 2010 cycle. I think DO is also a reasonable option as long as you can do ok on the MCAT (28~30) and get a 3.3~3.4 GPA.