Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhope4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning of doing an informal postbacc and i am wondering how schools will look at me retaking classes. For two of these classes, it would be my 3rd time taking it, however, both were last taken about 8 yrs ago. Here are the classes and my grades.
Bio1: 9 years ago. C
Bio:2 8 years ago C
Chem1: 9 yrs ago B
Chem2: 9 yrs ago B+
Org1: 7 yrs ago C

Both physics I took 7 years ago and got B+'s. Org 2 not taken. I probably won't retake physics. But do grades expire with some schools. Keep in mind, I won't be applying for another year or two. I'll call different school but I am just looking to get a rough idea. Also with bio 1 and chem 1 it would be my 3rd time taking them.

Members don't see this ad.

Grades don't expire. Every college transcript you ever received is submitted with a med school app. I had a 26 year old transcript in my final app.

For US MD schools, repeated coursework doesn't forgive any grades. If you get a C and then you get an A, both grades are included in GPA calcs.

For US DO schools, only the most recent (presumably the best) grade is included in GPA calcs. All coursework is shown, regardless. It's up to you, on the DO app (AACOMAS), to mark what course is a repeat of what course.

If you can remember the content, I suggest you could leave gen chem alone, but I'd retake the C's. Also, to show that you don't "need 3 tries" to get an A, take some upper div science (biochem, genetics etc) and get A's.

Best of luck to you.

My English and Math pre-reqs were from 15 years ago and it didn't stop me from getting accepted. I also never took General Biology at all, instead I opted to take Microbiology, Biochem, and Anatomy. It was helpful on the MCAT, helpful in getting me interviews at schools which require Anatomy and Biochem, and I think it will be more helpful in medical school than knowing about plants and nonhuman animals. Just a thought, you might want to broaden your knowledge base rather than retake classes. Unless you go D.O., in which case grade replacement will be a great help to your GPA.

There is another issue with retaking classes. Because of the economy some state universities are not allowing retakes of classes where your final grade was C. I think dr midlife and artsciencelove have the right idea take something harder.
My son did retake his classes from 1997 and 1998. But he did it at a different school. He did it for a better grade and the MCAT. He also took Biochem and Anatomy and Physiology.

The main issue is do you remember the material well enough to make a decent score on the MCAT after some test preparation. Also if you had to retake a class three times maybe science is not your thing. I took Algebra I three times and I have no problem admitting I do not understand math. Arithmetic YES. Math NO