retaking course question

Started by gsrimport
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gsrimport

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
retaking course question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this in another forum but it was not getting any response.
I am planning to retake introduction to biology 1. I graduated from my college already but I plan on retaking it somewhere else. When I retake it, does it have to be the same course name such as "intro to bio" or would "general bio" work. Thanks.
 
That depends on why you are taking it. If you are wishing to improve your grade for amcas etc purposes, you will need to take a "course description" from your first school to the second school and make sure that they are the same. The name of the class is not important, but the "course description" is.
 
atrovariousg said:
That depends on why you are taking it. If you are wishing to improve your grade for amcas etc purposes, you will need to take a "course description" from your first school to the second school and make sure that they are the same. The name of the class is not important, but the "course description" is.


Hmmm... I didn't think it made a d*nm bit of difference if you re-took a course; basically all your grades were calculated into your overall GPA for the purposes of reporting on the AMCAS. Am I wrong? I'd sure like to think that the "F" I got in Bio I in 1983, will be replaced with the "A" I recieved in 2003. Too bad I didn't know about the Texas "Fresh Start" program at the time. 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
momgracea said:
Hmmm... I didn't think it made a d*nm bit of difference if you re-took a course; basically all your grades were calculated into your overall GPA for the purposes of reporting on the AMCAS. Am I wrong? I'd sure like to think that the "F" I got in Bio I in 1983, will be replaced with the "A" I recieved in 2003. Too bad I didn't know about the Texas "Fresh Start" program at the time. 😡
Undergrad schools have diff ways of calc gpas. Some take the avg of the two some treat them as sep courses completely.
Where it helps is when you list your pre req course grades on your secondary and the fact that you had the persistance to go back and retake a course that you didn't do that well in.
 
momgracea said:
Hmmm... I didn't think it made a d*nm bit of difference if you re-took a course; basically all your grades were calculated into your overall GPA for the purposes of reporting on the AMCAS. Am I wrong? I'd sure like to think that the "F" I got in Bio I in 1983, will be replaced with the "A" I recieved in 2003. Too bad I didn't know about the Texas "Fresh Start" program at the time. 😡
DO schools will only factor the most recent attempt into sci/overall GPA.