retaking courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walnutfloor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking to apply primarily DO. I was going to retake Gen Chem I and II at a CC to boost my sGPA (AMCAS: 3.22, AACOMAS 3.44), but I've been hearing mixed reviews. Some people told me I should retake, and other have told me to just do well on the C/P section of the MCAT and take upper divs. I'm already planning on taking upper divs, but also was considering retaking. My grades were as follows:

Gen Chem I: B

Gen Chem II: C

OChem I: W (at my university). Retook over the summer at a different 4 year and got a B/B (Ochem I/II)

Biochem: B+

Would it be worth it for me to retake Gen Chem I/II?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ot_to_dr said:
Hello!

I'm looking to apply primarily DO. I was going to retake Gen Chem I and II at a CC to boost my sGPA (AMCAS: 3.22, AACOMAS 3.44), but I've been hearing mixed reviews. Some people told me I should retake, and other have told me to just do well on the C/P section of the MCAT and take upper divs. I'm already planning on taking upper divs, but also was considering retaking. My grades were as follows:

Gen Chem I: B

Gen Chem II: C

OChem I: W (at my university). Retook over the summer at a different 4 year and got a B/B (Ochem I/II)

Biochem: B+

Would it be worth it for me to retake Gen Chem I/II?

Thanks!
Agree w/the latter (do well on the MCAT & upper divison courses). Good luck and make sure to round out your application w/plenty of extracurricular activities and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @tjg1. No need to retake B's and one C unless you feel that you lack a fundamental understanding of the material. Focus on your upper division courses and do well on the MCAT and you'll be a good DO candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not retake anything higher than C-. You would have to absolutely get an A in these courses and even still, adcoms are not too impressed with someone retaking C/B > A as you've already seen that material before and it'd be expected for you to do better the second time around.

Retake courses that would otherwise make you ineligible for having not completed that pre-req to satisfactory standard; supplement poorer performance with taking upper-level division science courses at a 4-year showing that you now can perform at a high level with challenging science courses.