• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

retaking courses?

walnutfloor

Mar 30, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello!

I'm looking to apply primarily DO. I was going to retake Gen Chem I and II at a CC to boost my sGPA (AMCAS: 3.22, AACOMAS 3.44), but I've been hearing mixed reviews. Some people told me I should retake, and other have told me to just do well on the C/P section of the MCAT and take upper divs. I'm already planning on taking upper divs, but also was considering retaking. My grades were as follows:

Gen Chem I: B

Gen Chem II: C

OChem I: W (at my university). Retook over the summer at a different 4 year and got a B/B (Ochem I/II)

Biochem: B+

Would it be worth it for me to retake Gen Chem I/II?

Thanks!

jhmmd

supernatural
  • Apr 28, 2020
    desert highway
      ot_to_dr said:
      Hello!

I'm looking to apply primarily DO. I was going to retake Gen Chem I and II at a CC to boost my sGPA (AMCAS: 3.22, AACOMAS 3.44), but I've been hearing mixed reviews. Some people told me I should retake, and other have told me to just do well on the C/P section of the MCAT and take upper divs. I'm already planning on taking upper divs, but also was considering retaking. My grades were as follows:

Gen Chem I: B

Gen Chem II: C

OChem I: W (at my university). Retook over the summer at a different 4 year and got a B/B (Ochem I/II)

Biochem: B+

Would it be worth it for me to retake Gen Chem I/II?

Thanks!
      Agree w/the latter (do well on the MCAT & upper divison courses). Good luck and make sure to round out your application w/plenty of extracurricular activities and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user

DocJanItor

2+ Year Member
      Jun 7, 2017
      1. Medical Student
        Agree with @tjg1. No need to retake B's and one C unless you feel that you lack a fundamental understanding of the material. Focus on your upper division courses and do well on the MCAT and you'll be a good DO candidate.

Reactions: 1 user

mmchick

2+ Year Member
        Sep 4, 2017
        1. Medical Student
          Do not retake anything higher than C-. You would have to absolutely get an A in these courses and even still, adcoms are not too impressed with someone retaking C/B > A as you've already seen that material before and it'd be expected for you to do better the second time around.

Retake courses that would otherwise make you ineligible for having not completed that pre-req to satisfactory standard; supplement poorer performance with taking upper-level division science courses at a 4-year showing that you now can perform at a high level with challenging science courses.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.