retaking courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to podiatry school September 2010 but since math courses are calculated in the science GPA I have a really low GPA. The first year of college I took two math classes and I got a D and an F(-because it was a summer session and was unable to attend the last few classes) but I was wondering what the best thing is to do to increase my GPA. If I retake statistics that I got an F in, will they average the two grades? If so it will only be a C. I will only be able to take it this spring semester and I would be up to 18 credits but I can take it online and I should be able to get an A because I have taken business stats and got an A.. I just wish I would have tried harder in the past! :(
I want to apply to Temple and OCPM but I don't know if I have a good enough GPA. I am doing good in all of pre-requisites though.. so should I just retake the math classes?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they do average the two grades together, but it is still worth it to retake the courses in my opinion. They will still see that you retook the classes, and hopefully got an A the second time, therefore it will help to retake the classes even though the average of the two is a C, you show a trend of doing better as you go and that you learned from your mistakes.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I will be graduating with a degree in economics in the spring and after that I will be taking organic chem in the summer and Bio and physics next fall so I am trying to do my best in my prerequisites and I will get A's in math!!
The most credits I have taken is 16, so in the spring I will be taking 18 credits which will be in
4 credits Gen ChemII
2 credit fitness course
3 credit intro anthropology
3 credit sr seminar
3 credit econ stats II
3 credit basis stat (on line course)

Do you think this is too much? the sr. seminar and anthro and fitness courses wont be much at all ... the courses that will require the most work is chem and the two stats classes..I want to do well and all I do now is study so I am thinking it wont be too bad but for those of you who have taken 18 credits.. is it real difficult??
I would talk to my advisor but I can't get a hold of anyone, so I was just going to see how the first week of classes go and decide then..
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to you, if you can I would take some of that in the spring or summer, but it is doable. I took 16 credits once, but that was along with working 30 hours a week at the same time. It is doable, especially if you don't have a job. I imagine the first two years at podiatry school will be like taking 18 or more credits at a time, so it might be good practice. Good Luck!

It's up to you, if you can I would take some of that in the spring or summer, but it is doable. I took 16 credits once, but that was along with working 30 hours a week at the same time. It is doable, especially if you don't have a job. I imagine the first two years at podiatry school will be like taking 18 or more credits at a time, so it might be good practice. Good Luck!

I agree. If you are a good student then those courses should be fine. I also did a year with 18 credits and worked a 40+ hour work week on top of it. I didn't sleep much but still managed to pull off good grades. If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of your sanity for a few months then I'd say its definitely work-able.

Thanks so much! I decided to retake the easier math course in the spring then take the other one in the summer. I don't usually work during the semester so I should be able to handle it and it will be good for me to see what I have coming when I get to pod school.

Do pod school admissions look at how much volunteer work you have? I am trying to strengthen my app and right now I am in the big sister program and also interested in volunteering for the Red Cross..Would any of this strengthen my app?
Thanks again

Thanks so much! I decided to retake the easier math course in the spring then take the other one in the summer. I don't usually work during the semester so I should be able to handle it and it will be good for me to see what I have coming when I get to pod school.

Do pod school admissions look at how much volunteer work you have? I am trying to strengthen my app and right now I am in the big sister program and also interested in volunteering for the Red Cross..Would any of this strengthen my app?
Thanks again

This is directly from the Temple invite packet:

Other factors considered when interviewing a prospective student:

A. The competitiveness of the undergraduates institution
B. The course load taken each semester
C. The level of difficulty of the classes taken
D. Extracurricular activities in which the applicant is involved during the school year.
E. Part of full time employment during the school year
F. The applicants academic improvement over the course of four years of study
G. Previous exposure and experience with the podiatric medical profession.

math counts?