Retaking DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenarrow92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT in May, and if I retake the DAT it will be in August. My question is If I do end up retaking it, can I still apply in june or july, and still be considered early. Or will I have to send my application in after I have retaken the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you could apply in June/July and then notify schools of updated scores. I have not applied yet myself so I'm not 100% on how this works.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you could apply in June/July and then notify schools of updated scores. I have not applied yet myself so I'm not 100% on how this works.
Correct!! if you need to re-take you just notify the schools and most likely they will hold your application until your new results are received.
To op: just apply early june and let the school know you will be submitting new scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's my understanding that you can submit your application, LOR, transcripts, etc. and then update your application later with your DAT scores. You're a little late if you're applying in August, but with a solid GPA and DAT you should be fine.

That way you application won't be "complete" until they get your new score.

So if i apply in june/july and retake the DAT in August, will I still be considered early?

So if i apply in june/july and retake the DAT in August, will I still be considered early?

it takes about 30 days to receive your official score. So say you take it in august, and then schools you choose get your score in september. Then they will start looking at your application. So I wouldn't say its that "early". But still not late.

I heard since scores are online it takes them about 2 to 2.5 weeks to receive scores

I am taking the DAT in May, and if I retake the DAT it will be in August. My question is If I do end up retaking it, can I still apply in june or july, and still be considered early. Or will I have to send my application in after I have retaken the DAT?
OP, not sure when you will take it in May. but if you apply in June with your DAT score from May, the schools will believe your app is complete unless you notify them via email or on their secondary app.

and it all depends on how busy AADSAS is. i would say anywhere from 2-6 weeks. i got my scores in within 2.5 weeks but i've heard others got around 5 weeks. you will still be considered "early" if you apply in June but retake in August. worked for me. just make sure the schools know you will be retaking!