Retaking DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLO2105

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i took my DAT last week and i didnt do as well as i though i would do... I got a 17 i was very upset afterwards... i though i gave it my all and i study day and night for it. sometimes i didnt even took a day off to enjoy the "summer".. i am going to retake it on december. i did horrible in general chem i got a 16, orgo 19, bio 17, reading, 19, math 15, pat 19... any suggestions on what should i do and how to study? so far i dont know how to start studying again. let me just put out there that i hate math so thats where general chemistry and QR mess me up the most. i am still putting applications for diff. universities taking into account that i will do better in my second attempt to take the DAT.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What materials did you use and what did your schedule look like? Also, everyone needs a few breaks. Even those crazy 25+ people you see everywhere on here can't study 24/7. How're your GPA and ECs? (I wouldn't recommend you apply with that DAT anyway..).

Members don't see this ad :)
You took it without Destroyer? What materials did you use to study/prep for the DAT?

Here's what you should use, at minimum:

Bio: Cliff's AP, Feralis, and Destroyer
Gen Chem: Chad's videos, Destroyer (and Gen Chem Destroyer if you feel like you need the help/practice)
Orgo: Chad's videos, Destroyer (Orgo Destroyer for more practice if needed)
QR: Destroyer
PAT: YT videos

Get Bootcamp and with everything else, get Destroyer and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone recommend dat genius? am trying to gather info about it before I purchase.

I registered for a free account and just took the "free practice tests." You can never have too much practice, so it wouldn't hurt to use that program

Reactions: 1 users
I had almost identical scores to you when I took the DAT in March, I retook it in July and went from a 17 to a 21. I took 2 months in the summer to study. I read the Kaplan blue book and took practice exams from Datqvault and boot camp.

i used chads videos, bootcamp, Bio cliff notes and destroyer.. i guess i should of done destroyer a little bit more.. how many time should i do the problems? i did it twice but with gen chem i felt like the problems didnt stick to my head maybe because i didnt really take much breaks. i study for 4 months but the first 2 i had to work after that i decided to take 2 months off work. do you guys think i should start from scratch or work more on destroyer?

could u please explain a bit, u mean use destroyer or next time it will be better?
Use Destroyer next time and it will be better.

@KLO2105, I went through Destroyer 4+ times for GC and OC. You should continue to go through it until you know every concept well. It will make the GC and OC on the actual a breeze.

by the way my GPA is 3.4
Your GPA is really similar to mine so a high DAT score can really help compensate. You definitely need to finish destroyer at least once. 2 or 3 times even better as orgoman would say. 4 or 5 times? #HardcoreDATYOLO! Honestly, if I screwed up the 2nd time I would've legitimately taken 6 months to study and do a full run of destroyer every 2-3 weeks till my brain would give up on me and I could get a 26+ (Ik i'm still dreaming lmao) ;)

I saw a video posted on this thread earlier today, does anyone know where I can find it? seems like it got removed. it was about scoring better than 17 while a retake.

hey guys i took my DAT last week and i didnt do as well as i though i would do... I got a 17 i was very upset afterwards... i though i gave it my all and i study day and night for it. sometimes i didnt even took a day off to enjoy the "summer".. i am going to retake it on december. i did horrible in general chem i got a 16, orgo 19, bio 17, reading, 19, math 15, pat 19... any suggestions on what should i do and how to study? so far i dont know how to start studying again. let me just put out there that i hate math so thats where general chemistry and QR mess me up the most. i am still putting applications for diff. universities taking into account that i will do better in my second attempt to take the DAT.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey I felt the same as you did on your try...I felt that I had but countless hours into studying but did not do too well. I took the Kaplan course and I have there review books I felt that after I had studied the concepts I needed a lot more practise so I made sure to do various questions over again...I felt as one studys you pick up that similar question types are presented so I made to sure master them..I think you should not give up but instead go over the questions you did in the past over again until you understand them and practice doing the math section as well because you will soon start to see similar concepts showing up.