Retaking DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkossak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT in July and did fairly well, got a AA 21 and TS 22. However, my QR was a 15, my RC was a 18, and my PAT was a 17. I've already received two interviews, but for some reason a few weeks ago I decided to enter my DAT scores on my AADSAS and state that I was taking it again in October. Well, after my first two interview invites, AADSAS sent an updated copy of my application out this past monday. So, now schools are aware that I'll be retaking it, though I'm not sure or not if I want to do that anymore. Regardless, my question is this - will schools still give me interview invites with my current scores if they think they are good enough even if they know that I'm retaking it? Or will they all want to wait to see my next set of scores? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT in July and did fairly well, got a AA 21 and TS 22. However, my QR was a 15, my RC was a 18, and my PAT was a 17. I've already received two interviews, but for some reason a few weeks ago I decided to enter my DAT scores on my AADSAS and state that I was taking it again in October. Well, after my first two interview invites, AADSAS sent an updated copy of my application out this past monday. So, now schools are aware that I'll be retaking it, though I'm not sure or not if I want to do that anymore. Regardless, my question is this - will schools still give me interview invites with my current scores if they think they are good enough even if they know that I'm retaking it? Or will they all want to wait to see my next set of scores? Thanks.

You shouldn't have signed up for a retake! Your scores were great before and if you already have two interviews this early in the application cycle, imagine how many more you'll get throughout the year. What are you doing? Just cancel that you're going to retake and be happy witht the schools that are obviously wanting your trash. Does it really matter which school you get into to get your DDS/DMD? You and I both know that you'll get in so that's all that matters right? Don't worry about it.

Appreciate the response. I suppose you're right. I just hope that schools won't look at the change from "going to retake" to not retaking as a negative thing. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the response. I suppose you're right. I just hope that schools won't look at the change from "going to retake" to not retaking as a negative thing. Any thoughts?

I don't think they'll look at it negatively. If anything it just looks like you have more confidence because you know that you don't even need a retake in order to get in. Your stats are so good, I don't think that a decision like that would even matter. It may even take some stress off of adcoms knowing that they won't have to worry about you scoring less (accidently?) the second time around.

Regardless, my question is this - will schools still give me interview invites with my current scores if they think they are good enough even if they know that I'm retaking it? Or will they all want to wait to see my next set of scores? Thanks.

We can't really predict that. Honestly I think you should retake. I see you applied to some pretty good schools: UCSF, Columbia, etc. Some of your scores just wont cut it. Unless youre happy with only getting your two interviews I say retake. I seems like you'd do great if you did.

Good job on your scores! Question, I took the DAT at the very end of July and have yet to enter them in on my aadsas app. I am going to enter them, but is it really necessary since ADA sends the scores to the schools you apply to?

Good job on your scores! Question, I took the DAT at the very end of July and have yet to enter them in on my aadsas app. I am going to enter them, but is it really necessary since ADA sends the scores to the schools you apply to?

Perhaps I am misreading your question, or losing it in the semantics within... but some schools (most all of the 23 I applied to) require an official copy of the DAT scores, that is distinct from AADSAS's DAT report, and costs ... $25 a pop ? But seriously ... you've come this far, just take 45 seconds to enter in those scores.

I suppose you wouldn't have to since people submit before taking the DAT right. It take less than a minute though. Probably could have posted it quicker than making this post on SDN :rolleyes:.......

We can't really predict that. Honestly I think you should retake. I see you applied to some pretty good schools: UCSF, Columbia, etc. Some of your scores just wont cut it. Unless youre happy with only getting your two interviews I say retake. I seems like you'd do great if you did.

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. UCSF and Columbia especially, if I want a shot at all I'm going to have to have 20+ across the board, though Michigan is probably my number one. Anyway, thanks for the comments.