Retaking DATs for the 3rd time???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nykhansahib

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
mm if u retake it a third time and dont show improvement.id ont think it will look good. if you are taking practicing tests and are showing marked improvement..then retake them. they new scores won't apply for this cyle tho..at least i dont think-double check that one.

nykhansahib said:
Hey all,

Since I havent been accepted to any shcool so far, I am thinking of taking the DAT again for the 3rd time? Do you think it is advisable? Do you think dental schools will look at it as a sign of weakness if unfortunately I get around the same scores as before? Do you think its worth it? Please give me some advice... looking forward to the feedback!

1st DAT:
AA 18, TS 17, PAT 18

2nd DAT:
AA 18, TS 19, PAT 17

Cum GPA: 3.28
Sci GPA: 3.18

Strong extra cirricular, volunteer and shawdowing experince!

Applied: Mid October
Interviewed: Indiana and Tufts
Rejected: Tufts, UMDNJ, UPENN, Pitt
Accepted: ??

Hey I would wait to hear from Indiana before you take the DAT. If you are not accepted to Indiana, then I wouldn't see any problem with taking the DAT a third time. Just make sure you prepare yourself for it so you can get an even better score. You need to try and get a higher score b/c of your lower GPA. I think it when you have taken the DAT like 4 or 5 times is when it starts to look a little bad. Hang in there. I am still waiting on Indiana as well. This is my number one. I am an in-state resident there. Tomorrow they will have they next batch of students who are accepted. You should call tomorrow and they will probably let you know what you status is.

Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
nykhansahib said:
Hey all,

Since I havent been accepted to any shcool so far, I am thinking of taking the DAT again for the 3rd time? Do you think it is advisable? Do you think dental schools will look at it as a sign of weakness if unfortunately I get around the same scores as before? Do you think its worth it? Please give me some advice... looking forward to the feedback!

1st DAT:
AA 18, TS 17, PAT 18

2nd DAT:
AA 18, TS 19, PAT 17

Why did you apply so late? I've seen plenty of people get accepted with those stats. I think you should just make every effort you can to apply EARLY...May 15th turn in a completed application. There should be no reason for you to apply late again. Spend less time worrying about DAT and more time worrying about getting application turned in early.

my advice to you (if i'm even in the state to give you advice) is that you should alter the way you are studying for the DAT. you took the DAT twice and you did basically the same. in my opinion, that will catch the adcom's eye more than if you take it 3 times. if you take it for the third time, you must be certain that you score 20+...no joke. anything below a 19 is not even close to being competitive anymore.
gluck.

I have to say having taken it twice myself, the scores that I wanted to go up didn't change enough, and I was really upset for having wasted my time. Honestly, apply early, to more schools than you did, and hope for the best. Retaking the DAT again is likely going to be a waste of time and money.

I think they would look at it as a sign of determination not weakness. If you studied your hardest both times and you don't think you can improve then I wouldn't retake them, but if you had a busy schedule and you couldn't put 110% into your studying then definitely retake them. Your 2nd scores are not that bad so if you don’t retake them make sure you apply really early and add more schools. Good Luck and don’t give up on your dream.

I think you should sign up for a Kaplan course if you haven't utilized this resource yet and retake the DAT in June/July or so.

Hey, I'd just thought of a trick; apply in May for next year's cycle (with your old DAT scores) and then when you sign up for the DAT, don't list the schools that you're applying to (just list some random school) and so if you do WELL on the DAT, THEN have the ADA send the scores to those schools. Does that make sense? What do the rest of the SDN'ers think? Would this work? Maybe I'm neglecting some rule?
But yes, the main thing is to apply EARLY next year; your old scores are not that bad even if you decide not to retake the DAT again.

nykhansahib said:
Hey all,

1st DAT:
AA 18, TS 17, PAT 18

2nd DAT:
AA 18, TS 19, PAT 17

As some other students said, if you believe u didn't study hard enough or you had something going on at the time of taking DAT which prevented you from doing your best, then study harder and take it again, even slightly better scores help (as long as you don't do worse overall) andv admission commettee looks at it positively. But more important than that is u should apply EARLY (by end of May, mid June) and then apply to more schools I would do between 15 to 20. I know it's a lot of money but look at it this way, if you don't get in, then another year of waitinggg.
Good Luck

Why did you apply in October? Have you applied prior to this? As you said your DAT scores didn't change much, unless you feel like you were holding back, and that you can pull out higher scores the third time around, then go for it. DAT's are a major time and energy investment, so unless you feel like you could've done more..I'd try applying early next cycle. On the flip side, I think you've applied kind of late, and that might've been your downfall. I've seen plenty of people here with similar stats as yours and they've been interviewed and have gotten multiple acceptances. Difference being they applied very early. From what I hear there were a ton of people this year who applied insanely early, that's made the competition even tougher for those who applied even in summer! Good luck, and if you do apply next year, do so early. I'm sure that'll make all the difference!

You could def still get in this cycle! The game is not over yet! Did you apply to NYU?

Mysteree said:
Why did you apply in October? Have you applied prior to this? As you said your DAT scores didn't change much, unless you feel like you were holding back, and that you can pull out higher scores the third time around, then go for it. DAT's are a major time and energy investment, so unless you feel like you could've done more..I'd try applying early next cycle. On the flip side, I think you've applied kind of late, and that might've been your downfall. I've seen plenty of people here with similar stats as yours and they've been interviewed and have gotten multiple acceptances. Difference being they applied very early. From what I hear there were a ton of people this year who applied insanely early, that's made the competition even tougher for those who applied even in summer! Good luck, and if you do apply next year, do so early. I'm sure that'll make all the difference!

Dying2beDDS said:
You could def still get in this cycle! The game is not over yet! Did you apply to NYU?

Yes I did apply to NYU this cycle... still waiting on them... I keep calling them but dont get any response on the status of my application!

Thanks for all the comments and feedback fellow SDNers... :thumbup:

I am def planning on reapplying as soon as the next cycle opens (by May 16 or 17th) and apply to a lot more places.

As for the DATs... I was always doing one thing or the other while taking the DATs (during the academic year). I think if during the summer if I am able to put a month and more into preparing then I will retake it! As you all suggested I need to improve and a less than 20 would be a dissappointment :(
I will make my final decision by assessing my progress on the practics DATs!

Thanks again for all the input.. u are all awesome :D

Mysteree said:

Dear Mysteree... No this is my first time applying... thats why I had no idea that applying early was soo vital... I started filling out my aadsas in late august and took me a month to finish everything (lor, transcripts... etc). I will apply early! thanks for the advice

Dear NYkhansahib,
I'm guessing you're still pretty young, if you can afford to do it, then by all means if it doesn't work out this time, give it another shot. I'm sure you'll get in :) NYU's got a huge class, so you still have a chance, have you interviewed w/them already?