Retaking Frosh/Soph level prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbagels

EM PGY1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is brought down pretty heavily by my Cs in Chem I, II, Ochem I and II, as well as other courses in my first 3 years of college. My upper division biochemistry/molecular biology courses are nearly all at the B level or higher, but in my early collegiate years I prioritized my sport (rowing) over my academics. I came back for a 5th year to do a second B.S. (first is in Biochem, second is Genetics/Cell Biology), and am expecting a ~3.7 this last semester. I plan on a post-bacc/master's degree next year, and will apply in 2013 to start medical school in the fall of 2014. Should I retake these classes at a community college? I plan to take the MCATs in January 2013. I test well (99th percentile GRE/SAT/ACT), but of course the MCAT is a beast that require some significant dedication.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you retake them at a university? You sound like you are doing good on other upper level sciencesl if you can retake at a university it would preferred, however if you can't, you'd probably be ok.

University is just much more expensive! I've also already been at my school for 5 years, I don't want to spend another summer+semester here if I can take them at a CC next to my house. Partially I want to retake these courses to show that they were a fluke of my immaturity, but additionally they will bump me over a 3.0 cumulative with grade replacement, which I think is the screening point for many schools.