Retaking math classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playthatfunky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post bacc'r but you guys are the best/fastest at answering questions it seems.

I got a C in calculus when I went to college several years back. If I retake that class both grades will be averaged in my GPA that I know. What I want to know is:

1) Can I start by taking an algebra class or precalc? Would that be frowned upon or disqualified (not included on my transcript or something)? I'm not sure I should jump right into calculus its been a lot of years.

2) When I do the AMCAS will I be pointing it out that it's the same class or will they figure it out? It's at a different school and has a different number (Math 124 at my undergrad Math169 at my new school) just wondering how that gets sorted out. I want them to see I did better the second time.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

playthatfunky said:
I'm a post bacc'r but you guys are the best/fastest at answering questions it seems.

I got a C in calculus when I went to college several years back. If I retake that class both grades will be averaged in my GPA that I know. What I want to know is:

1) Can I start by taking an algebra class or precalc? Would that be frowned upon or disqualified (not included on my transcript or something)? I'm not sure I should jump right into calculus its been a lot of years.

2) When I do the AMCAS will I be pointing it out that it's the same class or will they figure it out? It's at a different school and has a different number (Math 124 at my undergrad Math169 at my new school) just wondering how that gets sorted out. I want them to see I did better the second time.

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you, and believe me when I tell you no one cares about your calculus grade if it was a long time ago when you were unfocused and not really trying. No one has asked me about the C I got in calculus and they probably won't ask you either. The key for you now is to do very well in your post bacc classes so that you can show adcoms that you are capable of doing the work in med school. Don't worry about the math, you're fine.