Retaking MCAT and application cycle timeline.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Gains

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can help answer a few questions I've been having.
I took the MCAT a year ago and had a substantial drop from my AAMC FL scores, so I'm currently in the process of retaking. I would like to retake in late June/early July maybe. How should I go about applying? Do I still apply June 1st with my current score, and update schools later on, or should I apply later after I take the MCAT again? What would be more advisable and how will schools see this? My current score is okay, but not competitive for a few of the MD programs I'm looking to apply to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a spot where you can indicate a future test date but schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score to arrive. So your fate might already be decided before they get the new score. I think you should apply to one throw away school just before you retake the test. Receipt of your new score and AMCAS verification might happen close to each other. Good luck on the retake.

Reactions: 2 users
Do I still apply June 1st with my current score, and update schools later on, or should I apply later after I take the MCAT again?
The former strategy is inadvisable. Like @candbgirl mentioned, plenty of schools (anecdotally I would venture to say MOST) will simply filter you out or reject you based on your current score. I second the throw away method. It's a good way to get verified and be ready to go as soon as you get your new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a spot where you can indicate a future test date but schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score to arrive. So your fate might already be decided before they get the new score. I think you should apply to one throw away school just before you retake the test. Receipt of your new score and AMCAS verification might happen close to each other. Good luck on the retake.

The former strategy is inadvisable. Like @candbgirl mentioned, plenty of schools (anecdotally I would venture to say MOST) will simply filter you out or reject you based on your current score. I second the throw away method. It's a good way to get verified and be ready to go as soon as you get your new MCAT.

If I submit to a throw-away school on June 1st, and after I get verified. How long do I have until I have to add new schools or withdrawal my application?