SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Retaking MCAT, When to submit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nacholover53, May 19, 2014.

  1. nacholover53

    nacholover53 5+ Year Member

    Jan 29, 2012
    I saw several threads with a somewhat similar question but felt my situation was different. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been answered.

    So I'm not in the best situation. Taken the MCAT twice already.
    August 2013: 27 (8/10/9)
    April 2014: 26 (9/8/9) I felt great about the verbal on my practice tests and even on the actual test. No idea how it dropped.
    GPA: 3.55

    I'm planning on retaking the MCAT on July 25 of this summer. I have been studying more efficiently and the first two times, I wasn't as prepared as I wanted to be so I feel confident I can raise my score this time.
    However, I also want to apply this cycle. Looking at the AAMC website, I won't get my score till end of August. I'm planning on submitting my AMCAS to a single school on June 3 so I can get the verification process going, but should I wait to submit to other schools after I get my score? I figure I'll probably get screened out if I submit with my low scores, but will waiting till end of August be too late?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. papanixon


    Mar 18, 2014
    in a similar situation
  4. VolunteerMoose


    Nov 9, 2013
    in all reality, because your stats are average / below average, you're doing yourself a disservice by applying this cycle with an August MCAT score. Schools wouldn't look at your app until that August score is in. I say study hard for the July MCAT, but save some money and apply next year. Just my opinion.
  5. mrh125

    mrh125 Banned Banned Account on Hold

    Aug 4, 2013
    how are your ECs, are you a good writer? if you could convey something that gpa and mcats can't you might be able to get into a MD school. Also, DOs are definitely a possibility.
  6. Jay11jayjay


    Feb 15, 2014
    I agree with VolunteerMoose. Unless you're gonna get an absolutely great score on your next MCAT, it seems that you're setting yourself up to becoming a re-applicant. The problem with your situation is that you're gonna submit your app before you even take the mcat, which means [God forbid] if you do bad on your next one, you will be considered a re-applicant next year (look through SDN to know the full repercussions of being a re-applicant). I'm not aware of your whole situation, but judging from what you said I think you should take the mcat later on the in the summer (if the extra time would help you get a better score) and apply next year towards the beginning of June. Since you took the mcat twice already, make sure you study absolutely differently this time. Good luck!
  7. kyamh

    kyamh 2+ Year Member

    Aug 8, 2013
    I don't think you will be screened out with these scores, if you know you want to apply this cycle then it doesn't make much sense to wait. Honestly, you already have two scores that are almost exactly the same. Even if you pull off a higher score the third time, it would seem like the third one was a fluke. No matter how high you realistically score (unless you're brushing up near 40), you aren't gunning for the top programs anymore so I sincerely doubt that you will be screened for a 26/27. While your composite score is not great, your subsections are actually alright - everything is at least an 8. Schools will sometimes screen for <7 or <8 subsection scores and you don't have any of those.

    I agree with the other posters - if you retake the MCAT then wait a year. If you are set on applying this cycle, I would apply ASAP and not list a test retake so you can be an early applicant and try to get in with your current scores. Then if you have to reapply you can talk about how you have made improvements to your MCAT score.
  8. gonnif

    gonnif Only 1021 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    I somewhat agree with kyamh. You may not get screened out but you will be in the bottom half to bottom third of applicants to invite. Overall scores like yours are at best 50-50 gamble and dropping

    Taking a late MCAT and submitting late will just lower your chances above. I would take the MCAT, and apply next cycle.
    Jay11jayjay likes this.

Share This Page