Retaking MCAT, will it put me at disadvantage to take it on June 27 if scores are released July 14, but med schools can see apps on July 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msmathteacher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to retake on June 20 (score release date of July 7). I want to reschedule to June 27. If my primary application goes out to med schools on July 10 (assuming it’ll be verified by then), will med schools automatically reject me because they only saw my first score from a few years ago and not my new score? Or will they actually wait to look at my app until my new score comes in? In that case, I’m afraid that there will be a big influx of apps on July 10 this year, and waiting to get my score until July 14 will be an issue because my app will be seen later. Is it much better to take it on June 20 in my case?

Members don't see this ad.

I am scheduled to retake on June 20 (score release date of July 7). I want to reschedule to June 27. If my primary application goes out to med schools on July 10 (assuming it’ll be verified by then), will med schools automatically reject me because they only saw my first score from a few years ago and not my new score? Or will they actually wait to look at my app until my new score comes in? In that case, I’m afraid that there will be a big influx of apps on July 10 this year, and waiting to get my score until July 14 will be an issue because my app will be seen later. Is it much better to take it on June 20 in my case?
NO!!!! There is no way to know whether a particular school will process an application as soon as it receives it, or how long it might take. Similarly, there is no way to know whether they will screen you out based on a bad early score or wait until they receive a new score, since it will be pending. What IS certain is that an application received a week or two after the very first batch will not be considered "late" and will not be at a disadvantage.

Since you have nothing to gain by having a school receive your application on 7/10 instead of 7/20, and everything to lose if your application is screened without your later score, you are crazy to do anything at all to risk having a school receive your application without it. Take the test when you are ready, and time your submission so that schools don't receive your primary until your later score is available (i.e., end of June). Having a school receive your application at the end of July rather than July 10th will not disadvantage you in any way, especially not this year, when many people who had tests cancelled in April and May will not be taking it until July and August.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apps are not processed in order of chronological receipt.

Reactions: 1 user
NO!!!! There is no way to know whether a particular school will process an application as soon as it receives it, or how long it might take. Similarly, there is no way to know whether they will screen you out based on a bad early score or wait until they receive a new score, since it will be pending. What IS certain is that an application received a week or two after the very first batch will not be considered "late" and will not be at a disadvantage.

Since you have nothing to gain by having a school receive your application on 7/10 instead of 7/20, and everything to lose if your application is screened without your later score, you are crazy to do anything at all to risk having a school receive your application without it. Take the test when you are ready, and time your submission so that schools don't receive your primary until your later score is available (i.e., end of June). Having a school receive your application at the end of July rather than July 10th will not disadvantage you in any way, especially not this year, when many people who had tests cancelled in April and May will not be taking it until July and August.
Thanks @KnightDoc! I could also just submit primary to a throwaway school, and after I get my new score, then I can submit to schools I actually want to apply to. Correct?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @KnightDoc! I could also just submit primary to a throwaway school, and after I get my new score, then I can submit to schools I actually want to apply to. Correct?
Always, but in this case, it seems kind of pointless and a waste of money, since the two weeks or so buy you absolutely nothing so early in the cycle. The throwaway strategy is viable when it prevents you from being late (e.g., getting verified ahead of time so you don't have to wait for verification in August during a normal cycle).

Your OP assumed you would already be submitting your primary before your scores would be received on 7/7 from the 6/20 exam, so I did not realize this would even be a consideration for you. I was just advising not to let schools see your app until your 7/14 scores were available. You can also just wait until 7/14 to submit, if you are concerned your scores might not be in range for the schools you are applying to. You'll be verified by end of July - beginning of August, which will still be early, especially this year.

If you're that nervous you can certainly employ the throwaway strategy, but, given your timeline, it's totally unnecessary.

I am a reapplicant. If my app is ready, should I submit tomorrow or wait until after I retake the MCAT on July 7th? My app will have that new date listed as pending, but I don't want to be pre-screened out do to my 495 score last summer. Would it be a good idea to submit my app to one DO and one MD school tomorrow so that I am verified early and then add more schools after I get my score back at the end of July?

I am a reapplicant. If my app is ready, should I submit tomorrow or wait until after I retake the MCAT on July 7th? My app will have that new date listed as pending, but I don't want to be pre-screened out do to my 495 score last summer. Would it be a good idea to submit my app to one DO and one MD school tomorrow so that I am verified early and then add more schools after I get my score back at the end of July?
Yes on the MD (see my response on the other thread). The DO cycle goes much later, so two weeks this early don't mean anything, and there is no reason to waste money on a throwaway since you'll have your score on 7/21.

submit tomorrow if your app is ready and you're a re-app. Add one "throw-away" school and then when you get your score back in July, you can add others