Retaking Part 1, Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I took Part 1 this previous Dec, and I passed the exam. My total average was an 83, and my worse section was Anatomy Science, getting a 76. Passing barely by a hair-thread, I know, I am lucky. All other sections I scored over 80.

I am contemplating retaking the exam. I took the exam back in the Dec. on paper, and I am thinking that if I take the exam again, I would take it on the computer, since the written exam given in July of 2005 isn't a good time for me due to my academic schedule.

The reason why I want to retake the Part 1 exam is because I want to have the possibility of specializing later on if I want to specialize. My GPA right now is about a B+ with strong signs of improvement this year, so I am hopeful. I know that some areas of specialty requires a much higher GPA but I still have lots of time to improve, and so far so good.

So I want to have decent scores on Part 1 in case I am able to keep up my GPA and later find a particular area of dentistry more interesting to me, enough for me to specialize, except oral surgery.

SO my questions are whether any of you guys have retaken the exam even though you passed it the first time, what is a reasonable expectation as far as increasing the score, I mean I doubt that I would fail the second time, and since I am studying again right away and take it again in the next two months, I could probably have a good chance of improving.

Can you guys give me some advice, suggestions, etc.

Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental2007 said:
Hello all,

I took Part 1 this previous Dec, and I passed the exam. My total average was an 83, and my worse section was Anatomy Science, getting a 76. Passing barely by a hair-thread, I know, I am lucky. All other sections I scored over 80.

I am contemplating retaking the exam. I took the exam back in the Dec. on paper, and I am thinking that if I take the exam again, I would take it on the computer, since the written exam given in July of 2005 isn't a good time for me due to my academic schedule.

The reason why I want to retake the Part 1 exam is because I want to have the possibility of specializing later on if I want to specialize. My GPA right now is about a B+ with strong signs of improvement this year, so I am hopeful. I know that some areas of specialty requires a much higher GPA but I still have lots of time to improve, and so far so good.

So I want to have decent scores on Part 1 in case I am able to keep up my GPA and later find a particular area of dentistry more interesting to me, enough for me to specialize, except oral surgery.

SO my questions are whether any of you guys have retaken the exam even though you passed it the first time, what is a reasonable expectation as far as increasing the score, I mean I doubt that I would fail the second time, and since I am studying again right away and take it again in the next two months, I could probably have a good chance of improving.

Can you guys give me some advice, suggestions, etc.

Thanks a bunch.

give it again.
i regave it .. improved from 83 to 94.....

How hard did you study the first time around?

If you studied your butt off, and used methods that work for you, then it may be that you won't score much higher the second time around.

However, if you made obvious study errors, weren't wise with your time, and used low-yield aids, then there is a great chance that you'll score better.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't retake it, but simply that you should be realistic about your chances with your new score. I have no doubt that you can score better than an 83, but you might not want to have you eye set on a 95 (I'm not saying you do).

Members don't see this ad :)
toothie said:
give it again.
i regave it .. improved from 83 to 94.....

For the last time, it'sTAKE, TAKE, TAKE, TAKE, TAKE.... not GIVE! There's nothing to GIVE! They GIVE you the exam, and then you TAKE it!

Stop talking/writing like a tourist ;)

P.S: not to be an @ss but regave is not a word!

lnn2 said:
Stop talking/writting like a tourist ;)

P.S: not to be an @ss but regave is not a word!
Is "writting" a word?

predentchick said:
Is "writting" a word?

No! but ****ting is :D

Damn predent, stop correcting the senior! too bad that you won't get the secrets of "how to get into dental school" from me :D

Well, the first time that I took this exam, I studied for about 17 days from 10am to 11pm with breaks for eating in between. By the end, I simply didn't have enough time to go over all old exams, and even though I did go through the dental decks two to almost three times, I simply did not have enough time to actually study/memorize all of the decks. I also used some Kaplan materials and some other extra text books, but simply there wasn't enough time to study as much as I wanted. So I think I will take another chance.

Thanks for your replies.