Retaking Practice Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think taking AAMC exams then repeating them until I can score like a perfect would be a good idea? I will take 3, 4, 5, then 6 ... in order before I repeat.

I don't want to waste time on practice tests that are not similar to the real thing. I have other practice tests though. What your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really because you'll probably end up memorizing the answers and not learning the material better.

This was an advice I got from some members on this forum. I not sure if I should do the AAMC exams exclusively.How many times should I retake each AAMC exam?

take some of the kaplan practice tests... their science sections are harder than the real MCAT but their verbal is easier... Always better to practice with something thats harder tho

Members don't see this ad :)
take some of the kaplan practice tests... their science sections are harder than the real MCAT but their verbal is easier... Always better to practice with something thats harder tho

How many practices should I take?

Is retaking a practice exam a good idea?

This was an advice I got from some members on this forum. I not sure if I should do the AAMC exams exclusively.How many times should I retake each AAMC exam?
I've heard one respected Kaplan instructor on SDN express his opinion that he thinks its a great idea to redo tests, just don't assume those scores represent your capabilities. The idea is that repetition of the difficult concepts presented in the practice tests will really help you out.

I've heard one respected Kaplan instructor on SDN express his opinion that he thinks its a great idea to redo tests, just don't assume those scores represent your capabilities. The idea is that repetition of the difficult concepts presented in the practice tests will really help you out.
I completely agree. It's good to retake to make sure you understand the concepts...but don't think your score is "real" the second time around.

It is all about how you retake it and not whether or not you retake it. On your retakes, you should approach every question from a different angle. When I started doing this, I would often retake my tests untimed, it's time consuming but this is how you map out your thought process, it is a high yield method, go for it. This method cost me countless 10 hour days, and man am I glad it's over. well, at least until I get my score back.

It is all about how you retake it and not whether or not you retake it. On your retakes, you should approach every question from a different angle. When I started doing this, I would often retake my tests untimed, it's time consuming but this is how you map out your thought process, it is a high yield method, go for it. This method cost me countless 10 hour days, and man am I glad it's over. well, at least until I get my score back.

How did you do?

How many did you retake? Did you retake only the AAMC exams? Why did you take them untimed?

I don't know how I did, ask me on the may 20th. I retook all the AAMCs, some kaplans, and TPRs and GS. I retook them untimed to approach them completely differently. This allowed me to map out the desired thought process for particular question types.

It definitely does matter how you retake the exam...You should make sure that even if you *remember* what the answer is, that you should be able to work through the problem to arrive at the correct answer. Understanding 'why' should be your primary focus in retaking an exam. What will surprise you if you leave enough time between retakes is that you probably won't get a 100% on the second time around!
Understanding is key. Make sure you've got it for every single question. Not just how to do the problem, but the basis of logic behind your process, and why doing the problem like you did is the quickest most efficient way to proceed.