Retaking pre-requisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tp216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I did not get into any programs for the 2016 PT cycle.

The first time I took anatomy 2 (which is physiology) I got a D... This was due to working 35 hours a week between two jobs. It was definitely tough to keep up.

So I retook the class and did not improve much, I ended up getting a C in anatomy 2. This again was because of working so much. I couldn't take off work because I had to pay for school/rent.

My question is, do PT schools accept it if I took the class a 3rd time? This time around, I am able to not work as much so I am determined to get an A in the course. But someone told me I will automatically be denied admission for taking a class a third time. Does anyone know if I can or am I stuck with a C in anatomy 2?

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would check on PTCAS for the schools that you are interested in, and possibly call or email them.

As an example, my school (the University of Mary in North Dakota) only accepts one retake. If you took a course 3 times we would not automatically deny you, we would just not accept the third grade. We also only accept retakes in two different courses. We also allow higher level courses to substitute for a lower level course. We would accept the grades in two semesters of Organic chemistry (201/202) over the grades in two semesters of general chemistry (109/110). Unfortunately in your case, most schools do not offer higher level physiology classes.

It depends on the school. I would go through your list of schools you plan to apply to and check each website and PTCAS information. I took general chemistry 3 times and I did not have trouble applying to schools. I just made sure it was ok with all schools before I applied to them. In my case my original take of chemistry and the 1st retake were also both older than 10 years, so I would have had to retake the class anyway to get it current.