Retaking Prereqs From a CC at a Uni

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amoureux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to these forums, and I have a few questions about prerequisites. :)

After graduating high school I went ahead and attended a local community college in order to save some money. Just recently I was accepted to UCI to study Biology. Part of the requirements to transfer to the University was to take both General Chem I&II, as well as Bio I&II.

Now seeing that some dental schools do not accept CC credits for prereqs, should I retake both General Chem and Bio once I transfer to the university? Or am I just out of luck? :confused: I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to retake those courses since didn't fail them to begin with.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Not all institutions discount CC credits.

If the dental school you are interested in does not accept CC credits for pre-reqs, then, yes, you would be best advised to re-take the classes at a university.

I know that Tufts does not allow CC pre-req credits.

As MrBeans mentioned mentioned above -check with the schools.

I tool all of my pre-reqs at CC and took a couple of upper level science classes at uni and I did not have any problems getting in 5 schools.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I went from Cypress College to UCI, and I took all of my pre-reqs at my CC. VERY FEW schools will not take CC credit. Most schools just give you a slap on the wrist. I would really not worry about this at all, and just focus on doing well in your upper level classes to prove yourself - that should be fine. I got into a number of great schools with all CC pre-reqs, don't stress it.

The good Doc Toothache will post here sooner or later with the list of schools and what their public stance is on CC credit, so take a look at that. Remember though, even some schools that say they won't take CC credit, actually will - ie, Howard in my case. One of the only schools that is actually strict on that rule is Tufts - but none of the California schools really care very much, as long as you've got decent upper level grades and decent DAT's.

Good luck! And remember to join UCI's chapter of the American Student Dental Association, it's a great group of folks!

Thank you everyone for your time and input, I really appreciate it.

Congratulations on all of these acceptances too! I hope I can walk down the same path of success one day:xf:. Now it's time to buckle down and study study study!