Retaking Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gums25

Reaction score
I unfortunately did not pass my final exam in Ochem 2 and went below the hump for the class. I scored a 68 overall with a final grade of D. I want to retake. But will it be worth it? This was my last prereq intended before I applied and I dont know if any schools will take me serious anymore. Is it over ?

Members don't see this ad.

I unfortunately did not pass my final exam in Ochem 2 and went below the hump for the class. I scored a 68 overall with a final grade of D. I want to retake. But will it be worth it? This was my last prereq intended before I applied and I dont know if any schools will take me serious anymore. Is it over ?
what is your oGPA and sGPA?
a retake is fine as long as you don't have many Ws or D/Fs...

Will have to retake, most schools require organic chemistry and the full sequence. Might be worthwhile retaking at different university like a local CC. Schools will accept CC coursework, just make sure it's transferable to your degree if you need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My overall is 3.48 and sgpa was 3.4 before I got a D in ochem. Now it is probably 3.3 or 3.2.

Will have to retake, most schools require organic chemistry and the full sequence. Might be worthwhile retaking at different university like a local CC. Schools will accept CC coursework, just make sure it's transferable to your degree if you need it.
i wouldn't recommend a retake at a cc
schools may perceive you took it at a cc because it may be easier...

My overall is 3.48 and sgpa was 3.4 before I got a D in ochem. Now it is probably 3.3 or 3.2.
were you planning on applying this cycle?
what are your DAT scores?

Yes, you must retake Org2.

If you take Org2 this summer (which most likely means July-August), ensure your home university acknowledges the credit as applicable to the course you just received a D. It would be a shame to take Org2 at a CC, but you couldn't transfer the credit/grade towards your college coursework. I've seen many students take Org at a CC only to find out their university academic affairs office would NOT accept the credit... and the students couldn't get a degree.

You could see if you could take Org2 online with UNE or a similar well-known, accredited university. Same concern applies when it comes to acknowledging the credit towards your degree.

I got a C- in Orgo 1 originally. Was able to go to Orgo 2, got a B+. After I graduated college, I had to go to a local community college by my parents house and take Orgo 1 (even though I did well in Orgo 2). So yes, you need to retake it. And remember, they average the scores so you ideally want to get an A in Orgo 1 so your average can be a B- or whatever. It's doable though.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user