retaking the AAMC practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my MCAT this past summer. I was scoring 511's on the practice exams, and then game day came and I scored a 499 (124/123/125/127). I have diagnosed the reasons for doing poorly:
1) I did not accurately mimic testing days. Sundays were practice test days and I would take the tests truthfully w/o outside help, however I took breaks when I wanted, and would go at my own pace (I know it was dumb) and hurt me when I was beaten down after the first section of my real test
2) On the real MCAT, I was matched with the Hardest CHM/PHS section I have ever had, and I think it just played mind games and killed my confidence after that that I slowly gained back throughout the course of the test
3) Took it a little too early I believe (with hopes of catching this past cycle), and didn't make it through all the AAMC material

Since then I took 20 credits of coursework (microbiology, biochemistry, Genetics, Sociology, research) to give myself some more background information. I will also be retaking in about April with 4 months of full time prep.

THE QUESTION (the rest was useless for those pressed on time). When retaking the practice tests, I have been told this will not be an accurate indicator of my actual test preparation due to unconscious recall of the past answers. Is this true? And if you believe it is, is there any true way to scope when I will be ready? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

n=1 but I retook the AAMC practice tests and was averaging 519 on the retakes.. I think my score was either very inflated because of this or I just choked on C/P on test day bc I ended up getting a 513 (125/128/129/131). I would be careful if you’re using the retakes as an indicator and maybe pair them with an outside test source?
I know its pretty polarized on the best outside source tests. do you think NS is the best?

I took my practice tests, 513, 514, 515 (AAMC 1-3) in January. Retook 3 months later, 524, 524, 526. Actual MCAT, taken in April, 517. Subconscious recall is a real thing. Wont be accurate. Just practice your timing.

Reactions: 2 users
I took my practice tests, 513, 514, 515 (AAMC 1-3) in January. Retook 3 months later, 524, 524, 526. Actual MCAT, taken in April, 517. Subconscious recall is a real thing. Wont be accurate. Just practice your timing.
Alright thanks! So realistically you think I should aim for ~7 points higher from the target score? Or do you think I should disregard the score completely?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the AAMC has made a fourth practice test available rather recently, which means that there will at the very least be one FL that you can use to accurately gauge performance. Since it’s only one, I would save this one towards the end.

Reactions: 2 users
So I took my MCAT this past summer. I was scoring 511's on the practice exams, and then game day came and I scored a 499 (124/123/125/127). I have diagnosed the reasons for doing poorly:
1) I did not accurately mimic testing days. Sundays were practice test days and I would take the tests truthfully w/o outside help, however I took breaks when I wanted, and would go at my own pace (I know it was dumb) and hurt me when I was beaten down after the first section of my real test
2) On the real MCAT, I was matched with the Hardest CHM/PHS section I have ever had, and I think it just played mind games and killed my confidence after that that I slowly gained back throughout the course of the test
3) Took it a little too early I believe (with hopes of catching this past cycle), and didn't make it through all the AAMC material

Since then I took 20 credits of coursework (microbiology, biochemistry, Genetics, Sociology, research) to give myself some more background information. I will also be retaking in about April with 4 months of full time prep.

THE QUESTION (the rest was useless for those pressed on time). When retaking the practice tests, I have been told this will not be an accurate indicator of my actual test preparation due to unconscious recall of the past answers. Is this true? And if you believe it is, is there any true way to scope when I will be ready? Thank you!

Yeah, it is true. The effect is bigger for some versus others. Like other have mentioned, it can have merit. Just disregard the score and use it to practice your timing and technique.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it is true. The effect is bigger for some versus others. Like other have mentioned, it can have merit. Just disregard the score and use it to practice your timing and technique.

Med School Tutors
Any idea of how I could scope when I am the most ready? Just whenever I feel most confident in my technique/ material?

Any idea of how I could scope when I am the most ready? Just whenever I feel most confident in my technique/ material?

Typically you are ready when you:

1) have no major glaring weaknesses
2) fine-tuned your timing and technique. You should be able to crank through passages without thinking about how to do it.
3) have multiple data points in your goal score zone.
4) feel your wheels spinning.

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user

Subconscious recall is real - even if it just makes the passage a little easier to read the second time around.

If you’re dying to estimate what your real score looks like, average the retake with the original. So if FL1#1 is 510, and FL1#2 is 520, I’d think you’re realistically in the 515 area. My personal experience went something like this (and I took 6 months between practice tests!).

Reactions: 1 users