Retaking the boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDestiny

Family Medicine MD and Residency Advisor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Some encouragement needed for retaking the boards. I didn’t pass two years ago (I had done the board review videos ABFM and some ITE questions, and the AAFP app questions). It was months post residency I think I was depressed back then due to having my new job delayed by my company then took the test after a stressful work day.
I’m interviewing for jobs as I want to go somewhere nice and higher paying than where I am (so I can get rid of my debt); getting rejected due to not being board certified (I’m board eligible) they said they get paid more for board certified docs; also wanted to work part time for a while due to working on personal goals and having three kids under 5 yo currently.
I feel lost in what prep I can do and scared that I thought I did well last time but didn’t pass the $1300 exam (shakes head). Having some hesitation signing up, questioning if I can do it (pass). Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to be too down on yourself. I'm sure your not the only one and won't be the last one to fail the exam. I normally rec reading as much as you can from prior 3 years AAFP main articles and do the quizzes from the journal (at least read the abstracts). Also you can do the AAFP free cme questions if you are a member and the ABFM app that I think is still free. When I took the exam a few seasons ago I did buy the Kaplan board review, i found it to be more intense than needed.

That alone would be sufficient. The journal articles with quizzes as well as free cme quizzes online. Then the free abfm app if they still offer that.

You need to do as many practice questions that you can and read the answers on those you got wrong and figure out why you got them wrong. They can only ask the concepts so many ways and then the material starts to repeat itself. You only have to pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to do as many practice questions that you can and read the answers on those you got wrong and figure out why you got them wrong. They can only ask the concepts so many ways and then the material starts to repeat itself. You only have to pass.
Thank you. I think I need the moral support !

Try not to be too down on yourself. I'm sure your not the only one and won't be the last one to fail the exam. I normally rec reading as much as you can from prior 3 years AAFP main articles and do the quizzes from the journal (at least read the abstracts). Also you can do the AAFP free cme questions if you are a member and the ABFM app that I think is still free. When I took the exam a few seasons ago I did buy the Kaplan board review, i found it to be more intense than needed.

That alone would be sufficient. The journal articles with quizzes as well as free cme quizzes online. Then the free abfm app if they still offer that.
Thank you for the confidence boost