retaking the DAT for the 4th time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stag123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about retaking my DAT, but it would mean that it will be my 4th time. (The first and second time was years ago). I understand you have to send proof of an application cycle to ADA to retake for the 4th time. And I understand it's only once a year from now on.

I took my DAT for the third time in August. So does that mean I can't retake until august of 2016? Or am I allowed to retake now? (it's been past 90 days since my third time)? I couldn't tell from the information online.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been thinking about retaking my DAT, but it would mean that it will be my 4th time. (The first and second time was years ago). I understand you have to send proof of an application cycle to ADA to retake for the 4th time. And I understand it's only once a year from now on.

I took my DAT for the third time in August. So does that mean I can't retake until august of 2016? Or am I allowed to retake now? (it's been past 90 days since my third time)? I couldn't tell from the information online.
Call and ask?

emailed them couple of days ago and haven't gotten a response yet. I'll call them tomorrow I guess
Yea I wouldn't expect a response lol. Your best bet would be to call. And if I had to guess I'd assume you'd be able to take it now since it's 3 months and into the new year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I wouldn't expect a response lol. Your best bet would be to call. And if I had to guess I'd assume you'd be able to take it now since it's 3 months and into the new year.

Online it states you can take it once a year from your last DAT. (not sure if that means from your third time or starting your fourth time).

This is what is stated in the 2016 DAT Guide page 16.

Requests for additional testing beyond the first three attempts must be submitted in writing to [email protected] and must include evidence of current (within the previous 18 months) intent to apply to dental school. Acceptable forms of evidence include the following (you need submit only one):  Copy of a completed and submitted ADEA AADSAS application  Letter of rejection from a dental school  Letter on school letterhead from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest  Letter on school letterhead from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor verifying that you are applying to dental school.

I would email [email protected] and call for clarity.

Hope this helps..

Nancy

This is what is stated in the 2016 DAT Guide page 16.

Requests for additional testing beyond the first three attempts must be submitted in writing to [email protected] and must include evidence of current (within the previous 18 months) intent to apply to dental school. Acceptable forms of evidence include the following (you need submit only one):  Copy of a completed and submitted ADEA AADSAS application  Letter of rejection from a dental school  Letter on school letterhead from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest  Letter on school letterhead from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor verifying that you are applying to dental school.

I would email [email protected] and call for clarity.

Hope this helps..

Nancy

Thank you nancy! I emailed them of my current application for 2016. Do you know if they will allow me to take it now or until august (that would the last time I took it)

I actually went ahead and called and they said I can take my DAT now. But after the 4th time it will be only allowed once a year.

Thanks for all the help! Hope that clarifies for anyone in the same situation!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually went ahead and called and they said I can take my DAT now. But after the 4th time it will be only allowed once a year.

Thanks for all the help! Hope that clarifies for anyone in the same situation!

Thanks for the update, I will know what to tell students in the future..Feel free to pm me and I will be happy to offer you advice on your upcoming DAT..

Take care..Nancy

Please make sure you are as prepared as possible this time! Best of luck :). Pm me also if you want advice as I will also be a retaker.

Reactions: 1 users
Please make sure you are as prepared as possible this time! Best of luck :). Pm me also if you want advice as I will also be a retaker.

Definitely!! I used chads/Bootcamp already, so I'm planning on buying new practice exams material. Probably DAT genius, Qvault Bio, and CDP. and of course going over Destroyer. Good luck on your retake!

I'm a retaker and significantly increased on second attempt.
19AA 20TS 22PAT --------> 23AA 24TS 20PAT
I only retook because my RC was so low (16), and increased slightly to (18), which is quite reasonable.
First attempt - I had my destroyer, but did not even finish them through, not even once, maybe 2/3 of it.
second attempt - I went over GC section of destroyer x5, BIO x3, and OC x4. I kept going over and over and over again.

I realized destroyer really is the key, but make sure you know all the answer choices, why wrong and why correct.
keep practicing with those questions, and trust me, your score is guaranteed.

Reactions: 2 users