Retaking the dat..need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vik91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I took the DAT for the first time at the end of August (2012) and thought I did okay, not great but fair. I broke down my scores below. The past two years I basically have been taking 3 sciences classes and an elective per semester and been doing great GPA wise, showing I can take on that many sciences classes at once. My (BCP) GPA is 3.76, Science is 3.63, Non Science is 3.90 and Overall is 3.72. I got all my letters in from my school, dentists that I shadowed and applied to about 11 dental schools. I spoke to ONE admissions director so far and said that 16 in Reading is really bothering her, and even if it was just the one in Math she could have overlooked it, but my chances have gone down alot because of that score. I plan on retaking it. I really need advice on programs like (DatQvualt, Dat Achiever, Math Destroyer) as to which of these is the best to study for math and reading. Any other advise/comment in regards to my scores or application would be greatly appreciated.
Bio:18
GC:19
Orgo:22
Reading:16
Math:16
PAT:18
AA:18
TS:19

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys

So I took the DAT for the first time at the end of August (2012) and thought I did okay, not great but fair. I broke down my scores below. The past two years I basically have been taking 3 sciences classes and an elective per semester and been doing great GPA wise, showing I can take on that many sciences classes at once. My (BCP) GPA is 3.76, Science is 3.63, Non Science is 3.90 and Overall is 3.72. I got all my letters in from my school, dentists that I shadowed and applied to about 11 dental schools. I spoke to ONE admissions director so far and said that 16 in Reading is really bothering her, and even if it was just the one in Math she could have overlooked it, but my chances have gone down alot because of that score. I plan on retaking it. I really need advice on programs like (DatQvualt, Dat Achiever, Math Destroyer) as to which of these is the best to study for math and reading. Any other advise/comment in regards to my scores or application would be greatly appreciated.
Bio:18
GC:19
Orgo:22
Reading:16
Math:16
PAT:18
AA:18
TS:19

Maybe you can retake in December and NOTIFY schools NOW of your retake so they don't reject you YET and instead put your app on hold.. But act fast, maybe you can get Post
december Interviews :) Good luck
You have really good scores so bad only those two sections look :(
Follow Glimmer breakdown, seems very good and she got really amazing scores

Math: Math Destroyer for the types of problems and maybe for timing if you want to kill the math section (use the separate book, not the math section in the big destroyer book), for timing use Dat Qvault. Mine was similar to DAT Qvault but I think I had an easy math section. A lot of people have been saying their section was similar to the Math Destroyer.
Reading: CDR (too many tone questions compared w/ real DAT but good for practice overall). I pretty much only used CDR but if you need additional practice, like what Glimmer said check out other breakdowns for suggestions on what resources were beneficial.

Good luck!

You really need to bring up your bio score. Make sure you read Cambells and Schaums for all for concepts. Then you can check yourself by doing Destroyer or Kaplan problems. Yes, Destroyer is a bit tough, but it can also prepare you well. Good luck.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk