Retaking the DAT + Seeking Advice+ Bootcamp vs Booster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am retaking the DAT for the second time in a little over three months to boost my score. Here is the quick breakdown of my first attempt

DAT: 19AA, 19TS, 24BIO, 19GC, 16OC, 22RC, 16QR, 16PAT

PAT, QR, AND OC were my worst sections and I really want to improve on these to boost my score. For each of these sections I had some thoughts on why I struggled so much and would greatly appreciate any advice on how to do better on these sections.

PAT: The biggest problem here was pace and honestly just not being able to visualize. Cube counting, angle ranking, and keyholes were easier for me relative to TFE, pattern folding, and hole punching. I just could not get these last three down and I had to guess on most of them.. clearly would explain the 16. Any advice?

QR: Once again pace was an issue, not being able to solve them fast enough, also probability and comparison questions slowed me down significantly. Advice?

OC: I was honestly surprised at my OC score. I thought I did well, but I think my issue here was the inability to remember all of the different reaction combinations. Any advice?

One big question I have for everyone is what is the best overall study tool or program. When I studied for my first attempt I solely used bootcamp and I think it was decent at explaining most concepts (Dr. Christiansen was entertaining and great for the sciences) but my big issue with them is price point ($500).

I've read that alot of people have been using DAT Booster instead and its significantly cheaper ($300). People also say their PAT is much more representative of what comes on the test.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I can improve my weak scores and which program you all prefer and have seen success with. I would rather not buy different programs just to pull the best parts from one or the other. (Some people will buy bootcamp, destroyer, booster etc just to use some features on one and others on the other).

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak as much to PAT anymore because I'm a few years out, but for QR, OC, and even GC I really suggest using the Destroyers. They can help not only form a base but really get you to understand the material at a much deeper level, which is really important for the day if the exam.

There is no doubt that the books are very challenging, but don't let that deter you! They really and truly help form a mastery of the content.

I should also note that the Math Destroyer absolutely saved my score. It had been 3 years since I took a math course, so that book plus the Orgoman Math YouTube videos really carried me on that portion of the exam. The other videos on chemistry were an added bonus that also helped fortify my knowledge base.

I pretty strongly believe those resources alone should be enough to hike up your score a bunch if you give it your all. Best of luck!!

PAT - If you are running out of time here, try and switch up the order that you complete the sections. I always jumped to Angle Ranking and did those first, skipping KeyHole and TFE. I continued through in the normal Order after jumping to Angle Ranking (Angle Ranking, then Hole Punch, then Cube Count, then Pattern Folding) then I jumped back to TFE (could get more of these correct than Key Hole) and saved Key Hole for last since I was guessing half the time anyway. Find what works for you and where you guess the most and get the most wrong.

For Hole Punch make sure you are using your grids. it helps a ton. Just keep track fold by fold as you unfold the paper.

In Pattern Folding there is usually something pretty distinct that gives it away. Its just a matter of quickly identifying what that is (a weird shape, which regions are shaded, etc.) and comparing it to the answers.

Cube Counting - make your table for sides painted 0-5 and count and tally every cube then answer the questions for that cube stack.

TFE - These are tricky. and just take practice. Using PAT booster helps you see why it is/isnt certain answers and helps make sure you are thinking about them correctly.

PAT booster for practice on all of these really helps

QR - They stick to a certain type of questions. For example, the card questions with probability, moving up and down a river, perimeter or area questions, etc. I worked through the MATH Destroyer 2 times and worked through the answers. I watched videos on how to do certain probability questions and made sure I understood them. On my actual DAT, every question that I saw I had seen a similar question (same type just different numbers) in MATH Destroyer so I didnt waste time trying to figure out how to set it up, just plugged in the numbers because I had seen the question and set up before. Also, I relied heavily on the calculator. Heavily. Make sure you are comfortable with the memory function and practice using desktop calculator and clicking with your mouse, not the num pad.

In terms of resources, I think DAT Booster is probably the best solo resource. If youre willing to spend more, I'd tack on DAT Destroyer and MATH Destroyer as well. Its great practice and exposes you to everything you might see (but way more in depth than the real thing). Both of those combined will cost you the same or less than DAT Bootcamp. regardless, I would 100% go with DAT Booster over DAT Bootcamp just because the additional $200 isnt worth it.

PAT - If you are running out of time here, try and switch up the order that you complete the sections. I always jumped to Angle Ranking and did those first, skipping KeyHole and TFE. I continued through in the normal Order after jumping to Angle Ranking (Angle Ranking, then Hole Punch, then Cube Count, then Pattern Folding) then I jumped back to TFE (could get more of these correct than Key Hole) and saved Key Hole for last since I was guessing half the time anyway. Find what works for you and where you guess the most and get the most wrong.

For Hole Punch make sure you are using your grids. it helps a ton. Just keep track fold by fold as you unfold the paper.

In Pattern Folding there is usually something pretty distinct that gives it away. Its just a matter of quickly identifying what that is (a weird shape, which regions are shaded, etc.) and comparing it to the answers.

Cube Counting - make your table for sides painted 0-5 and count and tally every cube then answer the questions for that cube stack.

TFE - These are tricky. and just take practice. Using PAT booster helps you see why it is/isnt certain answers and helps make sure you are thinking about them correctly.

PAT booster for practice on all of these really helps

QR - They stick to a certain type of questions. For example, the card questions with probability, moving up and down a river, perimeter or area questions, etc. I worked through the MATH Destroyer 2 times and worked through the answers. I watched videos on how to do certain probability questions and made sure I understood them. On my actual DAT, every question that I saw I had seen a similar question (same type just different numbers) in MATH Destroyer so I didnt waste time trying to figure out how to set it up, just plugged in the numbers because I had seen the question and set up before. Also, I relied heavily on the calculator. Heavily. Make sure you are comfortable with the memory function and practice using desktop calculator and clicking with your mouse, not the num pad.

In terms of resources, I think DAT Booster is probably the best solo resource. If youre willing to spend more, I'd tack on DAT Destroyer and MATH Destroyer as well. Its great practice and exposes you to everything you might see (but way more in depth than the real thing). Both of those combined will cost you the same or less than DAT Bootcamp. regardless, I would 100% go with DAT Booster over DAT Bootcamp just because the additional $200 isnt worth it.
Thank you! I will def keep Destroyer in mind for extra help

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak as much to PAT anymore because I'm a few years out, but for QR, OC, and even GC I really suggest using the Destroyers. They can help not only form a base but really get you to understand the material at a much deeper level, which is really important for the day if the exam.

There is no doubt that the books are very challenging, but don't let that deter you! They really and truly help form a mastery of the content.

I should also note that the Math Destroyer absolutely saved my score. It had been 3 years since I took a math course, so that book plus the Orgoman Math YouTube videos really carried me on that portion of the exam. The other videos on chemistry were an added bonus that also helped fortify my knowledge base.

I pretty strongly believe those resources alone should be enough to hike up your score a bunch if you give it your all. Best of luck!!
Thank you! Seems like every one attests to destroyer so ill def keep it in mind

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I am retaking the DAT for the second time in a little over three months to boost my score. Here is the quick breakdown of my first attempt

DAT: 19AA, 19TS, 24BIO, 19GC, 16OC, 22RC, 16QR, 16PAT

PAT, QR, AND OC were my worst sections and I really want to improve on these to boost my score. For each of these sections I had some thoughts on why I struggled so much and would greatly appreciate any advice on how to do better on these sections.

PAT: The biggest problem here was pace and honestly just not being able to visualize. Cube counting, angle ranking, and keyholes were easier for me relative to TFE, pattern folding, and hole punching. I just could not get these last three down and I had to guess on most of them.. clearly would explain the 16. Any advice?

QR: Once again pace was an issue, not being able to solve them fast enough, also probability and comparison questions slowed me down significantly. Advice?

OC: I was honestly surprised at my OC score. I thought I did well, but I think my issue here was the inability to remember all of the different reaction combinations. Any advice?

One big question I have for everyone is what is the best overall study tool or program. When I studied for my first attempt I solely used bootcamp and I think it was decent at explaining most concepts (Dr. Christiansen was entertaining and great for the sciences) but my big issue with them is price point ($500).

I've read that alot of people have been using DAT Booster instead and its significantly cheaper ($300). People also say their PAT is much more representative of what comes on the test.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I can improve my weak scores and which program you all prefer and have seen success with. I would rather not buy different programs just to pull the best parts from one or the other. (Some people will buy bootcamp, destroyer, booster etc just to use some features on one and others on the other).
I recently took my exam and believe that DATBooster is the sole resource that you need, it's a great resource and is an amazing price. For PAT I found DATBooster to be very representative, on Bootcamp a lot of the problems were either too easy or were not at all like what the test is, for example, the cube countings proportions were nothing like what the exam was like. The questions are definitely harder than the exam but that will be very helpful for you as it will allow you to get more exposure to the difficult questions. For the other sections DATBooster was more than sufficient and I think that Biology was the most representative out of any resource I have used. If you need more help you can use the DATDestroyer more assistance, take a look at Feralis's study schedule on DATBooster as it incorporates both DATBooster and DATDestroyer into the study plan. I would however just stick with one trusted resource and try to exhaust all the content before you move onto another. If I were to take the DAT again I would only buy DATBooster because it's a lot cheaper than Bootcamp and has all the material I needed for the exam.
Good Luck!