Retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking my dat in a few months and I wanted to see if anyone else has done this ... How will it affect me in terms of what scores will be counted and so on. I have heard some schools average scores, some schools take the highest scores, and some schools take the most recent test scores. Has anyone dealt with a situation close to one of these ?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am retaking my dat in a few months and I wanted to see if anyone else has done this ... How will it affect me in terms of what scores will be counted and so on. I have heard some schools average scores, some schools take the highest scores, and some schools take the most recent test scores. Has anyone dealt with a situation close to one of these ?

Thanks!!
What did you get on the first DAT?

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!!
What did you get on the first DAT and what you you doing to improve on your 2nd go round?

Thanks!!
As a retaker myself, I'm not sure. That being said, there's a guide floating somewhere and each school does something different. What I think is likely is that they'll see both scores but consider your more recent one much more heavily and improving would look good :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged! Now that you know how much to study for you will do much better. Also your stress levels will be much lower.
to answer your question, some schools do take the latter and some schools do not. you will have to contact them individually.

Keep in mind that you want to be competitive and try graduating from a good school so you can get a good job post graduation.

Good Luck

Don't get discouraged! Now that you know how much to study for you will do much better. Also your stress levels will be much lower.
to answer your question, some schools do take the latter and some schools do not. you will have to contact them individually.

Keep in mind that you want to be competitive and try graduating from a good school so you can get a good job post graduation.

Good Luck

Thank you so much for your positive words!! I am seriously going to kick to this time on the dat.. I'm going to put in a lot more effort. And my dream school would NYU but I live in nc so I might have a chance with ECU :)

Thank you so much for your positive words!! I am seriously going to kick to this time on the dat.. I'm going to put in a lot more effort. And my dream school would NYU but I live in nc so I might have a chance with ECU :)

Also, my GPA is not bad but it is pretty low compared to the averages for other schools so I'm hoping that my life accomplishments and my new dat score will help me.

As a retaker myself, I'm not sure. That being said, there's a guide floating somewhere and each school does something different. What I think is likely is that they'll see both scores but consider your more recent one much more heavily and improving would look good :).

Thank you! I will find it. I am going
to work my butt off this time around!!

I love NYU too, but hey just study harder this time, and you will get higher scores.
I am sure even if they average your score, it will be higher than 16 AA.

Now the question is, why do you think you got 16 AA?

was it nervousness or under-prepa
redness or using not so good material(like Kaplan only) or other reasons (personal reasons) ?

Try to read dat breakdown here and mimic what they did

Reactions: 1 user