Retaking the OAT

Started by I-Ball
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I-Ball

OD WANNABE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know, I know, it's kinda early to start thinking about retaking the OAT. But I am. The test is in about 2.5 weeks and I know I'm not ready. I think I can cram and do so-so, but I know that so-so isn't good enough. So here's the dilemma; do I take it now, see how I do and take it again if need be, or post-pone it? The schools all 'strongly recommend' that you take it October but does that recommendation outweigh unpreparedness? I'm thinking that if I take it in February and mess it up then, I'm going to have to come back for another year just so that I can re-take the exam. When I registered for the test I sent in the requests for which school I'd like to recieve the scores but now I'm worried. If I do poorly the first time around will I get ruled out off the bat? Can I take it see how I do and then decide to see whether or not I want to send the scores? I don't know if I can ask the OAT people not to send my scores now. I'm really confused here. If I do poorly should I call the school and tell them I'm retaking it? Personally I don't think I'm a super-star candidate so I'm trying to tread as carefully as possible here. Let me know what you people think, till then I'm studying like mad.

Thanks in Advance,

I-Ball
 
My thoughts exactly!

I too am taking the OAT this October, but I'm having second thoughts.

Isn't it too late to postpone? I think it should have been done on or before Sept. 07.

I'm wondering whether there is anyone here who had/has been accepted upon taking the OAT twice.

P.S. I-Ball, do you go to UTM. I'm at St. George. U of T represent! 😀
 
Nah, don't worry about writing it a second time just yet. I didnt feel 100% before I wrote the exam and did fine. I'm glad I didnt wait, now i'm in at UW. I was writing it just to see how I would do. (talking about roughly 2-3 weeks study probably less than 1hr/day). I'd say go for it and dont worry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would also say to try to take it... you've already paid for it.. consider it a trail run. (you might surprise yourself at how well you do)
 
I agree with cpw. Consider it a trial run...you might surprise yourself...

I took the OAT last october without studying a single hour. I simply wanted to get a feel for how the exam is, and then study hard for the Feb exam. I managed to get a 330, and ICO didn't say that I needed to take it again. I know this isn't a high score, but I think it's pretty good for someone who didn't study at all. Luck? Maybe. There were many questions that I didn't know how to answer, so I guessed. The point is: just take it even if you're not prepared yet.

I spoke with some optometry school representatives last year, and they look for progress on these exams. But don't take it more than 3 times.

I hope this helps a little...
 
Thanks a ton people! This is nice (and very needed) motivation. Should I try to do something about the fact that I've already requested that my scores be sent to all the schools that I'm applying to?

TIA,
I-Ball