Retaking the OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I-Ball

OD WANNABE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, it's kinda early to start thinking about retaking the OAT. But I am. The test is in about 2.5 weeks and I know I'm not ready. I think I can cram and do so-so, but I know that so-so isn't good enough. So here's the dilemma; do I take it now, see how I do and take it again if need be, or post-pone it? The schools all 'strongly recommend' that you take it October but does that recommendation outweigh unpreparedness? I'm thinking that if I take it in February and mess it up then, I'm going to have to come back for another year just so that I can re-take the exam. When I registered for the test I sent in the requests for which school I'd like to recieve the scores but now I'm worried. If I do poorly the first time around will I get ruled out off the bat? Can I take it see how I do and then decide to see whether or not I want to send the scores? I don't know if I can ask the OAT people not to send my scores now. I'm really confused here. If I do poorly should I call the school and tell them I'm retaking it? Personally I don't think I'm a super-star candidate so I'm trying to tread as carefully as possible here. Let me know what you people think, till then I'm studying like mad.

Thanks in Advance,

I-Ball

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts exactly!

I too am taking the OAT this October, but I'm having second thoughts.

Isn't it too late to postpone? I think it should have been done on or before Sept. 07.

I'm wondering whether there is anyone here who had/has been accepted upon taking the OAT twice.

P.S. I-Ball, do you go to UTM. I'm at St. George. U of T represent! :D

Nah, don't worry about writing it a second time just yet. I didnt feel 100% before I wrote the exam and did fine. I'm glad I didnt wait, now i'm in at UW. I was writing it just to see how I would do. (talking about roughly 2-3 weeks study probably less than 1hr/day). I'd say go for it and dont worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also say to try to take it... you've already paid for it.. consider it a trail run. (you might surprise yourself at how well you do)

I agree with cpw. Consider it a trial run...you might surprise yourself...

I took the OAT last october without studying a single hour. I simply wanted to get a feel for how the exam is, and then study hard for the Feb exam. I managed to get a 330, and ICO didn't say that I needed to take it again. I know this isn't a high score, but I think it's pretty good for someone who didn't study at all. Luck? Maybe. There were many questions that I didn't know how to answer, so I guessed. The point is: just take it even if you're not prepared yet.

I spoke with some optometry school representatives last year, and they look for progress on these exams. But don't take it more than 3 times.

I hope this helps a little...

Thanks a ton people! This is nice (and very needed) motivation. Should I try to do something about the fact that I've already requested that my scores be sent to all the schools that I'm applying to?

TIA,
I-Ball