1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retaking vs upper level science courses during DIY postbacc?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by uschopeful, Aug 23, 2015.

1. uschopeful

7+ Year Member

I getting ready for a semester of post-bacc while applying and was wondering whether it would be a better idea to retake biochem (where I got a C) or to take an upper level chemistry course. Using my gpa calculator, the difference in my sGPA would be a 3.15 vs 3.19, assuming I get the A in whichever class I pick. I've been getting A's in all of the classes I've retaken so far. I'm taking two other classes for sure this semester, one of which is a retake and the other is not. My cGPA is a 3.28, will be 3.34 or 3.37 depending on whether or not I retake a class.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 0dee

0dee SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For DO schools, retaking a C class and replacing that grade with a higher grade improves your GPA better than a new course. However, you're talking about biochem which is a hard class, so if you retake it you better make sure you'll get at least A- on it. Also, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, then retaking biochem might not be a bad idea, as you will reinforce the concepts in your head, compared to some upper div chem which may or may not help you in your MCAT.

4. uschopeful

7+ Year Member

I'm somewhat confident I can get an A in the course, at least more so than the other course. Last time I took it, I missed a B by .8 points. I'm still kicking myself over it. I've already taken the MCAT, but am considering taking it for the third time in 2016 - in case I don'y get in this cycle and have to reapply.