Retention in Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...maybe I should know the answer to this question now since I'm in my P3 year, but I still don't! When lecturers start bringing up things from old modules like from P2 year, for example, cardio (I can't for the life of me remember what drug was recommended for what, I just generally know the class, and I can't remember off the top of my head like what statin I'd rather give for hyperlipidemia and why...and it seems like most of my classmates can)...it's really scaring me cause I feel I'll be lost on rotations. Is there anyway to study differently to retain material? I pretty much use the method of loci to study and it helps for exams but after it's not all that practical for me...hmmm so anybody have any recommendations? I just want to feel more competent. I'm always feeling lost. Maybe it's my approach, maybe it's a variety of things....I don't know. I was wondering if anybody could determine what I could be doing differently by the facts I've provided...and if there's any questions that I could answer that could help you help me please ask away. Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably know more than you realize. You will be fine on rotations just like everyone else.

No worries. You'll learn everything you need to know in your clerkships. The classes are just for a baseline.

One of my teachers once told me the goal is not for you to memorize 100% of the material and be able to regurgitate it on command. It's for you to be able to look up the information correctly and be able to quickly understand it because you've been exposed to it before. It's pretty much making sure this isn't the first time you've seen the material when you look it up.

It's pretty hard to memorize all these things without having any sort of practical application. Once you get into rotations things will stick a little more.

Reactions: 1 users